Images of the Confederacy

Jason76

Do you feel they are something to honor or simply something to take lightly, like say, The Dukes of Hazzard? On the other hand, do you feel they are outdated and should be either ignored or taken away to appease those who view them as symbols of unAmerican ideas like racism and slavery?

Werbung:
Its history, our history. And you know what they say about history...

A skeptic, though, could say that history can also be learned in a museum. Why should these things, seen as offensive to a lot of people (like most blacks and growing number of more modern youth) be on display "out in the open"?

A skeptic, though, could say that history can also be learned in a museum. Why should these things, seen as offensive to a lot of people (like most blacks and growing number of more modern youth) be on display "out in the open"?
A PBS poll disputes your claim.
The main reason I s because we do not operate by mob rule. We built freedom into our society for this reason.
Remember offense is taken, not given.

Personally, I believe that it is not necessary to remove the offensive statues, but instead, it is necessary to tag them for what they really are, a fake honouring of disastrous, cruel and destructive actions by those individuals.

I believe that on each of the confederate statues, there should be a thorough description of the REAL actions of those people, the harm they did, the death they caused, the evil they participated in.

And,

For each of those confederate statues, there should be a NEW STATUE erected of a true HERO (i.e., those who helped saved the life of many escaped slaves with the underground railroad; The Black heroes who served in the Union army to free their brothers; The people who, under the Nazi regime, risked their life to save people, children from a certain death in concentration camp).

How would you feel if today, the White supremacists decided to erect a statue to Timothy McVey and praised him as a "great man?" Yet, many of those confederate statues are doing just the same thing, only a few generations removed, although most of those statues were erected only 100 years or less ago!

Personally, I believe that it is not necessary to remove the offensive statues, but instead, it is necessary to tag them for what they really are, a fake honouring of disastrous, cruel and destructive actions by those individuals.

I believe that on each of the confederate statues, there should be a thorough description of the REAL actions of those people, the harm they did, the death they caused, the evil they participated in.

And,

For each of those confederate statues, there should be a NEW STATUE erected of a true HERO (i.e., those who helped saved the life of many escaped slaves with the underground railroad; The Black heroes who served in the Union army to free their brothers; The people who, under the Nazi regime, risked their life to save people, children from a certain death in concentration camp).

How would you feel if today, the White supremacists decided to erect a statue to Timothy McVey and praised him as a "great man?" Yet, many of those confederate statues are doing just the same thing, only a few generations removed, although most of those statues were erected only 100 years or less ago!

I see your point, but a lot of people don't take the Confederacy that seriously. They see it more as a Forrest Gump thing. So, in the end, it becomes more of a culture clash, where one group associates the rebel flag with being tough and "one of the boys", another with a positive view of white supremacy (that they agree with), and a third (blacks, extreme liberals) with something akin to the Holocaust.

I see your point, but a lot of people don't take the Confederacy that seriously. They see it more as a Forrest Gump thing. So, in the end, it becomes more of a culture clash, where one group associates the rebel flag with being tough and "one of the boys", another with a positive view of white supremacy (that they agree with), and a third (blacks, extreme liberals) with something akin to the Holocaust.

I agree to a point! For the last 20 years at least, the confederate flag was "no big deal," mainly something "quaint" that some White trash in the South seem to wrap themselves in or decorate their old pick ups and trailer homes with. No power at all.

Then there was a resurgence of racism due to the hatred against a Black man being elected president. . .TWICE, and the feeling of powerlessness the low education, low income, low brain people felt who were living with those confederate flags.

Then, Trump came along and, with Bannon's help, crystallised all the discontent, racism, and hatred toward President Obama and made it a rallying call for the lowest form of life in the US: the KKK, the neo-nazis, the haters. . .they all joined into the Alt-Right.

By the way, have you noticed how Bannon and Trump actually have the same "typical" body type and disgusting look as the White trash in trial parks? Talk about "superior race!"

By the way, have you noticed how Bannon and Trump actually have the same "typical" body type and disgusting look as the White trash in trial parks? Talk about "superior race!"

What do you mean by that? You mean Scottish Americans (Scotch-Irish)? I think that's misleading. Note, a lot of Scotch-Irish (My home of Tennessee is mostly them.) are fairly normal people, maybe even some are rich.

Then there was a resurgence of racism due to the hatred against a Black man being elected president. . .TWICE, and the feeling of powerlessness the low education, low income, low brain people felt who were living with those confederate flags.

Some of the more racist people are actually doing sort of well. I mean, an auto-mechanic typically makes as much as a professor or more.

What do you mean by that? You mean Scottish Americans (Scotch-Irish)? I think that's misleading. Note, a lot of Scotch-Irish (My home of Tennessee is mostly them.) are fairly normal people, maybe even some are rich.

Some of the more racist people are actually doing sort of well. I mean, an auto-mechanic typically makes as much as a professor or more.
Just liberal elitism.

Just liberal elitism.

Sorry to say, but it is. Just racism, normally directed at non-whites, directed toward whites. Sort of reminds me of the anti-Irish prejudice of the past.

What do you mean by that? You mean Scottish Americans (Scotch-Irish)? I think that's misleading. Note, a lot of Scotch-Irish (My home of Tennessee is mostly them.) are fairly normal people, maybe even some are rich..

Not sure what you mean with "Scottish Americans?" I don't remember mentioning this at all.

Yes, SOME of the more racist people (i.e. Session, Limbaugh, Hannity, Bannon, Miller, Gorka. . . and many more!) are doing VERY WELL, that doesn't mean they are not racists. But if only a few wealthy people were racists, it wouldn't create such a climate of hatred in people's every day life. It is the daily prejudice, the daily treatment of other races as "inferior."

It is less a question of "income" than a question of education and culture.

Sorry to say, but it is. Just racism, normally directed at non-whites, directed toward whites. Sort of reminds me of the anti-Irish prejudice of the past.

So. . .why don't you try to explain why we grew out of the "anti-Irish" sentiment of the past, the "anti-Italian" sentiment, the "anti-French" sentiment and even the anti-Japanese and the anti-Chinese sentiment. . but a certain group just seem incapable of growing out of an "anti-Black" sentiment. . .which has however lasted a lot longer than all the others, and whose victims (the Black people) have suffered a lot more from a decision to live in the US. . .when they didn't even have the opportunity to make that decision, but were brought here by FORCE as slaves?

So. . .why don't you try to explain why we grew out of the "anti-Irish" sentiment of the past, the "anti-Italian" sentiment, the "anti-French" sentiment and even the anti-Japanese and the anti-Chinese sentiment. . but a certain group just seem incapable of growing out of an "anti-Black" sentiment. . .which has however lasted a lot longer than all the others, and whose victims (the Black people) have suffered a lot more from a decision to live in the US. . .when they didn't even have the opportunity to make that decision, but were brought here by FORCE as slaves?
Because government didnt require it.
Government is always the problem, never the solution.

I despise the alt-right and believe me I want them eliminated (before anything else). Nonetheless, the poverty combined with other factors has always made blacks prone to violent crime - hence why whites flee in large numbers.

Yes, SOME of the more racist people (i.e. Session, Limbaugh, Hannity, Bannon, Miller, Gorka. . . and many more!) are doing VERY WELL, that doesn't mean they are not racists. But if only a few wealthy people were racists, it wouldn't create such a climate of hatred in people's every day life. It is the daily prejudice, the daily treatment of other races as "inferior."

I wouldn't put Hannity in the same boat as the others.

You're contradicting yourself. You were clearly associating so-called "white trash" with racist beliefs, which is unscientific on two grounds, one, other groups are also poor, 2nd, a lot of middle and upper class people are racist.

Last edited:
Werbung:
Open(not)mind
You used the term racist more than once. What is your definition of racism?

Back