• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • There is nothing we can do about it

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Plato

Has anyone ever thought about this? The law is that you have to be a "natural born" US citizen to be eligible to become the president. Yet, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams all weren't born in the US. They were born in a British Colony. Yet, they all became president. Was there something that gave them the right to become the president that I don't know about, or did they consider themselves "natural born" in the US because they created it? I found this odd, so I decided to see what others think.

Werbung:
They were born in colonies that later became part of the United States. This was meant to prevent actual British subjects from holding the highest office. This is partially a reason why Alexander Hamilton never became President. He probably would have otherwise.
Under your concept, the US wouldnt have had a legal President for the first 35 years. Because someone born on the day the Constitution was ratified creating the United States, would not be eligible until then.

Sorry, I modified my vote. I mistakenly voted yes, when after reading the question closely I clearly wanted a no vote.

Werbung:
They were born in colonies that later became part of the United States. This was meant to prevent actual British subjects from holding the highest office. This is partially a reason why Alexander Hamilton never became President. He probably would have otherwise.
Under your concept, the US wouldnt have had a legal President for the first 35 years. Because someone born on the day the Constitution was ratified creating the United States, would not be eligible until then.

So did they do anything about it, or did they just let it slide? Thanks for the explanation, Bunz.

Back