If Hillary is elected...

One would think, yes. Trump has said so many things that should have torpedoed his campaign, and yet the media insists on taking other things out of context and making mountains out of molehills. If only they'd concentrate in the real absurdities coming out of his mouth, he'd have less support

The right wing did the same thing during the Obama campaign, focusing on his birth certificate and his supposed Muslim faith and so on instead of simply bringing up his inexperience. Had they simply focused on what was real instead of what was invented, they would have made their point so much better.

Yet, no one seems to learn from those mistakes. Meanwhile, we have a choice between a deeply flawed Democrat and a totally unacceptable and equally liberal Republican candidate. What a sorry situation.
Hrc can be seen as unacceptable.
Far more so imo.

Werbung:
She can.
It's a matter of degree of unacceptability.

and now we're down to discussing not which candidate is best, but which one is worse than the other.

Oh well. Maybe in 2020.
DJT is the most acceptable candidate I've ever seen. The system is broken and he's the only one with a mindset to change it.
If we don't fix it we are lost.
HRC will just take us over the edge at warp speed and put the most $ in her owner's pocket.

DJT is the most acceptable candidate I've ever seen. The system is broken and he's the only one with a mindset to change it.
If we don't fix it we are lost.
HRC will just take us over the edge at warp speed and put the most $ in her owner's pocket.
Trump is a lifelong Democrat posing as a Republican. He is a fraud. He is not what he presents himself to be at all.

Agreed.
On a scale of 1 to 10, where a 10 is a great president and a 1 is a disaster, Hillary may be about a 4. I'd rate Trump a 1. The best outcome would be a gain in popularity by a third party and the two major parties losing their hegemony over American politics.

I think you rated Hillary too highly, but other than that, I pretty much agree. I would love to see a third party rise up. More than one, really. The two party stranglehold on the system needs to end. I think it's still going to be a while, but hopefully more people will have the guts to say "enough!" and pull a different lever.

Trump is a lifelong Democrat posing as a Republican. He is a fraud. He is not what he presents himself to be at all.
Most republicans are by deed democrats. For that matter JFK was more republican than not.
Oh, and I recall Reagan was a lifelong demand as well. Doesn't mean much does it?

Most republicans are by deed democrats. For that matter JFK was more republican than not.
Oh, and I recall Reagan was a lifelong demand as well. Doesn't mean much does it?

Neither party represents what it once did. I agree. Republicans don't know the meaning of the word conservative any longer (except for maybe on a few wedge issues, which are only tossed out on occasion to stir people up). Democrats, well.. they've moved so far left I don't know what to think any more. A third party can't happen soon enough.

Reagan was far more of a Democrat than today's Republicans will admit, that's for sure, and Kennedy would have been considered to be center right by today's standards.

But, neither one portrayed themselves to be something that they weren't, nor did they make absurd proposals about building walls on the border or stopping immigration from politically friendly nations. Can you imagine Reagan describing Nancy as a "great piece of ass?" Imagine Trump dealing with the Cuban missile crisis. We'd have had WWIII. Point is, Trump is no Reagan, and no Kennedy.

Like all the establishment pols who found their way into the Oval Office ?
I suppose it's a matter of degree. Anyone who runs for president of the US has to have a streak of narcissism.

But, comparing Trump to Kennedy or Reagan, and Trump is a better choice? That requires some serious doublethink, it seems to me.

I suppose it's a matter of degree. Anyone who runs for president of the US has to have a streak of narcissism.

But, comparing Trump to Kennedy or Reagan, and Trump is a better choice? That requires some serious doublethink, it seems to me.
It's interesting as I find trump and Kennedy rather similar. Both come from great wealth which can afford unusual leeway though Kennedy made little use of his. And all three knew the value of communication and use it to great effect in projecting leadership.
The thing that rattles you and excites me is that he doesn't fit the mold.
I don't think you'll come to see that as a good thing but I hope you will. The mold is killing us. Not sure if we can be saved or not but I do know only one guy in the fight has a chance of turning things around.

She can.
It's a matter of degree of unacceptability.

and now we're down to discussing not which candidate is best, but which one is worse than the other.

Oh well. Maybe in 2020.

If the country is still standing by 2020. If Trump is elected he may decide he doesn't want elections anymore. If Hillary is elected we may be bankrupt. In either case it is the people that will suffer, not the elite, or the Plutocrats. Hell, under either we might as well be communist.

Werbung:
It's interesting as I find trump and Kennedy rather similar. Both come from great wealth which can afford unusual leeway though Kennedy made little use of his. And all three knew the value of communication and use it to great effect in projecting leadership.
The thing that rattles you and excites me is that he doesn't fit the mold.
I don't think you'll come to see that as a good thing but I hope you will. The mold is killing us. Not sure if we can be saved or not but I do know only one guy in the fight has a chance of turning things around.
I get why Trump has a following. Sure, he wants to change things, and he doesn't fit t he mold. The same could have been said of Obama in 2004. Hope and change was the slogan. We didn't get much of either, of course. Obama turned out to be more like his predecessor than like a real agent of change.

But, to bring about meaningful change, Trump would have to know how to get thing done in Washington. He won't be the CEO or the dictator even if he does get elected. He'll have to deal with a recalcitrant Congress, and won't have a clue how to go about it. What he does best is simply piss people off, whether it's allies abroad or politicians domestically.

But, anyway, it looks pretty unlikely he'll even get elected now, so the entire debate may be moot.

Back