How do you feel about the other party?

eldragon

What I mean is, how much do you regard the fact that someone you meet is a republican, or democrat?

I am a liberal democrat, for instance, and when I meet someone who is a republican, I almost immediately have a dislike of them.

If they are sporting "W" bumperstickers, I want to ram their car. Now, of course, I would never do that, or even let on that I am disgusted by their lack of compassion and common sense, but that's what I would like to do, if I had no control over my emotions.

How does finding out that a person believes in opposite things than you do, effect, if any, the way you feel about them?

Werbung:
The same kind of tension that you refer to here could apply to things like religion, taste in music etc.

I really try to hold off on such things- despite feeling strongly about various things. Because I know how it feels that somebody can be disgusted at some of the positions I hold, because they cannot understand it. Thus I try first to understand why a person holds that position...specifically how they relate to the label. After that, then if the problems are still irreconcilable, it will be because that other person refuses or is unable to respect my position and acknowledge our differences on the matter. That's when I get disgusted and give up.

I don't think it has much effect other than us being able to have more to talk about. It is a great way to learn about things first hand rather than by rumor.

For me, I always assume that a conservative person is lacking of compassion of empathy for other people. I assume they are rich and selfish, and have lived a silver spoon life.

I assume they are racist and homo-phobic.

If they aren't those things, why would they be conservative?

The problem with conservatism is that it has taken a bad turn toward religion. If you go back and read about the Goldwater type of conservatisim, you'd be surprised. And, there are many of those types of conservatives left ...they've unfortunately been silenced by vociferous religious right types.

I'm an independent and am just as likely to vote republican as democrat in any given election.

Its a whole lot of stacked up assumptions to say that a republican is inherently lacking of compassion of empathy for other people, rich and selfish, and have lived a silver spoon life. If you assume that about them, why shouldn't they just assume you're a tree hugging hippy with no thought about what things actually cost and how to actually provide the things you want everyone to have for free? It just isn't that simple at all.

The republican model for charity is very different from democrats, but its no less giving, it just provides more personal choice in the matter. A republican would say: "If you want to save the rain forest go buy an acre of it with your own money, if you convince me its worth it I'll go do the same." A democrat would say: "We need to take a portion of the tax base and use it to save the rain forest because we can't convince people to willingly spend their own money on it, but it really does matter." Both approaches have merit at different times, and in some cases you could argue to apply either method and be a reasonable, sane, caring, giving person.

Boy we need some republicans on the board otherwise its gonna get too much like preaching to the choir (in a non-religious way of course) :D

Boy we need some republicans on the board otherwise its gonna get too much like preaching to the choir (in a non-religious way of course)

Heh, I was thinking the same there actually! Unfortunately, the way things are going now makes it appear that the demographic fits the profile a little too snugly.

The problem as I see it is that the morality and any moral consideration entailed by conservative sentiments is for the most part necessarily bunk, as it involves making categorical normative propositions through any number of fallacious avenues (the strawman appearing to be a favorite). It might appear to be a controversial claim but I'm pretty sure I can readily back it up historically and philosophically. Fortunately, discussion of politics and economics can exist somewhat independently of discussion of morality (per se), and for me, since I'm an economics ignorant, that'd be where the money is (har har).

For me, I always assume that a conservative person is lacking of compassion of empathy for other people. I assume they are rich and selfish, and have lived a silver spoon life.

I assume they are racist and homo-phobic.

If they aren't those things, why would they be conservative?

I know many conservatives who are empathetic, low-income(some single mothers, two living on disability) and selfless (some foster parents), having not grown up rich (some live in low-income housing). Most of my friends are conservative and yet they are not homophobic (two are homosexual) and they are certainly not racist (they are many different shades). They are aslo many different religeons, different genders, etc...
According to Miriam Webster's-
  1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
  2. Traditional or restrained in style: [SIZE=+0]a conservative dark suit.[/SIZE]
  3. Moderate; cautious: [SIZE=+0]a conservative estimate.[/SIZE]
Notice there is nothing in there about hating other people, being rich, or apathetic.

I have no problem whatsoever talking or having friendships with people that are of a different political affiliation than me. I think that is what is wriong with politics today there is no middle ground and politicians get so wrapped up in what their party has to believe and think that there is no way they can believe what the other party may believe is right. I think it is great to try and understand where another person may be coming from. That does not mean I have to believe the same way he or she does.

I live in the UK, and agree on most points with the Liberal Democrats. I can mostly get along with Labour supporters, but I struggle with people who are very actively Conservative. I just can't see how anybody could want to go back to the days of economic crashes that peppered the Conservatives' rule, and how anybody could like the smarmy Conservative leader, David "call me Dave" Cameron. He hasn't actually put forward any policies yet, just changed the Conservative logo to what appears to be a child's drawing of a tree, and yet people are saying that they would vote for him. On what grounds? He has no policies!
Anyway, short rant over, despite that I can usually be friendly with people who would vote Conservative, as long as the discussion stays away from politics, because then I can get quite passionate and probably a little scary.
There are, however, a few people who I simply cannot abide because of their political views. Those people are: anyone pro-foxhunting (I dunno if you have that in the US, but it's a disgusting "sport" where a load of people on horses set a pack of vicious dogs after a fox, follow behind on their horses, and watch as the dogs rip the fox to pieces), anyone anti-abortion, anyone anti-gay, and anyone who reads the Daily Mail or the Daily Express.

Werbung:
How does finding out that a person believes in opposite things than you do, effect, if any, the way you feel about them?

I try not to let someone's political views affect my opinion of them, any more than I let someone's faith or lack thereof, affect my opinion. I can find something to like and be friendly with in anyone, regardless of whether I agree with them about everything. And, disliking someone just because of their political views being different than yours, shows you're not as liberal as you think you are.

Back