Here Mare...Just 4 You!

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Toss that Tofurky and try one of these on for size...

<for the rest of this article>
http://www.slate.com/id/2236436/pagenum/all/#p2

081125_shop_tofurkey.jpg
Tofurky Roast, $15.69
What Kleenex is to tissues, Tofurky is to faux turkey. It's also the most aspirational brand. Quorn offers an unadorned loaf, Celebration Roast comes with stuffing, but Turtle Island Foods, maker of Tofurky, is big on trimmings. There's Tofurky Wild Rice Stuffing, Tofurky Giblet and Mushroom Gravy, even Tofurky Jurky Wishstix (imitation wish bones), all of which you can purchase together in a maroon box labeled "Vegetarian Feast." The company also provides customers with a promotional postcard depicting a happy interspecies family (that is, humans and turkeys), digging into a Tofurky Roast.
Tofurky gets full credit for appearance. Like the Celebration Roast, it closely resembles a small ham. In the oven it develops a brown sheen and the "meat" takes on a turkey-ish golden-brown tone. The wild rice stuffing looked not only edible but appealing.
At a school with moderate grade inflation, the Tofurky would earn a B for taste. While the stuffing was genuinely good, the "meat" (wheat gluten and tofu) was a little rubbery and had a disconcerting Asian tang—no doubt a result of the recommended basting concoction: soy sauce and olive oil. The meat-eaters and I agreed, however, that it was perfectly palatable and might even work well in a sandwich the next day.
Appearance: 5
Meatiness: 7
Overall Taste: 7
Total: 19
Gardein Stuffed Veggie Turkey Roast, $7.99 per pound
Perhaps it's unfair to compare Gardein's roast with the products above, because I found it in the hot foods section at Whole Foods, meaning I didn't have to prepare it myself. Whether the Whole Foods chefs or the culinary artists at Gardein deserve credit for the final product, I can't say, but the Veggie Turkey Roast was certainly the best fake of the batch.
Shaped like a Twinkie, with a crispy bread-crumb coating, Gardein's imitation bird doesn't resemble a roast, but it won't elicit any boos around the dinner table, either. And the "meat" itself (soy, wheat, peas, beets, and carrots) really does have the color and texture of a turkey. After my first bite, I felt a little anxious—I wondered briefly whether I'd mistakenly bought real turkey and glanced at my taste partner to see whether she, too, had a "Wait a minute" look on her face. She didn't. While she conceded that the Veggie Turkey Roast had a meaty quality, she argued that it wasn't, in fact, as convincing as Quorn's Turk'y Roast.
In evaluating the un-beast's taste, however, we had no disagreement. The Celebration Roast, Turk'y Roast, and Tofurky were all quite dry, but the Veggie Turkey Roast could almost pass for succulent. It wasn't too rubbery or too porous, too salty or too bland. If, come Thanksgiving, you place a Gardein roast next to the turkey, you may not win any converts, but you won't be tempted to defect.
Appearance: 4
Meatiness: 8
Overall Taste: 10
Total: 22

Werbung:
**BUMPED THIS UP JUST 4 U MARE**

Don't know if you ever saw this but I've tried that newer improved turkey {sans the turkey} and it's much better then that TOFU wanna be thing Gardein Stuffed Veggie Turkey Roast Try IT, Try It...I say and you might like it...much better then that TOFU-foo-foo rubbery thing ;)

**BUMPED THIS UP JUST 4 U MARE**

Don't know if you ever saw this but I've tried that newer improved turkey {sans the turkey} and it's much better then that TOFU wanna be thing Gardein Stuffed Veggie Turkey Roast Try IT, Try It...I say and you might like it...much better then that TOFU-foo-foo rubbery thing ;)

Thank you, ASPCA, we've been enjoying Tofurky since they came on the market. An awful lot of people won't even try it, but we had guests and they all thought it was tasty. The gravy is great and can be purchased separately for use on potatoes and such. Happy New Year!

I have actually had this, well Tofurky at least, I didnt get to indulge in a faux wishbone though.
I will say that it isnt bad. I would eat it again if that was the dish of the evening. I like actual turkey to much to consider changing. If one could not tell the difference in a blind taste test we might be onto something for me as a consumer. Until then I can appreciate those who wish to indulge, I am not close to being converted.

I have actually had this, well Tofurky at least, I didnt get to indulge in a faux wishbone though.
I will say that it isnt bad. I would eat it again if that was the dish of the evening. I like actual turkey to much to consider changing. If one could not tell the difference in a blind taste test we might be onto something for me as a consumer. Until then I can appreciate those who wish to indulge, I am not close to being converted.

ME NEITHER...but when my Vegan friends wanna party at my house and I've got the 'BIG BIRD' done up to my perfection I have always tried to have something suitable for them to dine on and that TOFUBIRD just wasn't much to brag about...but this other Sans Turkey Roast was delis ;)

Werbung:
Back