Hello

Yes, the world of mental health is a totally different world, that most people cannot grasp. This is why too many people do not understand the real dangerous effect that the fearmongering and the nasty propaganda can have. It is obvious that most people will not see the picture of someone crosshaired, and think "let's kill her," but if that kind of aggressive and very descriptive propaganda finds fertile ground (like in the disturbed mind of someone with schyzophrenia or brain damage), it can plant a seed that can trigger a full fledge psychotic break. And this associated with the availability of guns. . .makes a very dangerous combination.

Obviously Palin and 99.5% of the tea party supporters didn't INTEND or PLANNED the attack on Gabby Gifford, but basically, the propaganda and the crosshair on her picture were a trigger for a sick mind. It had the same action has giving a box of matches to a 4 year old child. . .

It is certain that I will be bashed again for this statement. But it is my opinon based on my professional experience. I do not expect anyone without an intimate knowledge of the mental health field to agree with me.

The Mental health industry today is made up of, here take this pill and quite crying...rather then real help. I know Friend is in the psych word right now, for like the 3-4th time in last year or 2...Dr could care less about her...and all they try to do is medicate...not ever trying to realy deal with the Sh** she has gone threw that messed her up. Of course if up to Republicans she would just be dead now, since she has no money and would not have any state coverage or money from SS.....But it would not effect them so....

Werbung:
Yes, the mental health system in this country is suffering from the deep cuts. In fact, when Reagan closed most of the mental health facilities in California (as the governor of California) over 20 years ago, it created REAL chaos, because people incapable of taking care of their mental health issues were left to fare for themselves, with no infrastructure (Psychiatrists, psychologists, support groups, day programs, etc) in place to support them in a community setting.
When this spread to the rest of the nation, it only got worse.
Today, communities all over the US are trying to cope, but there are not enough psychiatrists and mental health workers, and they are badly compensated. So, the most "expedient" way to deal with the issue is psychotropic medication!
And, although psychotropic medication can have big consequences and are very unpleasant (this is why so many refuse to take it, and prefer to self-medicate with alcohol), it is in many case absolutely necessary to control the most severe symptoms of major depression or schyzophrenia.

But, other services are absolutely needed. . . like "talk therapy," which take a VERY long time, a LOT of man power and that, although it is very helpful and appreciated by most people with mental illness and their families, may NOT be effective for some more severe conditions (i.e., schyzophrenia) which are basically triggered by hormonal imbalances in the brain.

Day programs where people with mental illness can spend their days in a protected environment, do some appropriate work (i.e., a mailing room) and receive some group therapy is very efficace to help them. . .but it is costly, and obviously, the GOP calls it an "entitlement program" and will vote to cut it even further if we give them half the chance!

I'm sorry about your friend. I know how difficult it is not just for the person with the disability, but also for his/her family and even friends. I worked in a mental health day program in California, and I loved working with that population, and learned a lot from being a part of the multidisciplary team (Psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists and social workers). I also co-facilitated a support/information group for families of my clients. You may want to check in your area to know if such resources exist.

Good luck.

Werbung:
Back