Hello from UShadItComing

It is here we might ought to discuss the definition of Fascism. Online dictionary defines Fascism as a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition 2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control.

It sounds to me in your response, GS, that you a leaning toward a fascist concept here. Your statement that McCain cannot get away with those things but Obama can is elevating a race, even though reverse, at the expense of individuals. So, your own fears add to the suspicion of Fascism in America, that which UShaditcoming already alludes. It doesn't really matter who takes our individual rights away from us for the purpose of elevating the state's rights as a collective group, it is against our Constitution. McCain has so far shown he will do nothing but continue what George Bush has already done in usurping our Consitutional rights. Obama has said he will immediately suspend Habeas Corpus. So, just how do you really figure that Obama will be more of a threat than McCain?

Thank you for your very intelligent words. There is little doubt that they have chosen to go down the wrong path with the race issue but when you took it to another level with your fascist charge I believe you have a sound argument.

I've given it quite a bit of thought and I will try to word my response to you on the matter in a way that I hope makes some sense: While BigRob's comments make some logical sense, he must realize that Americans have long ago created a situation which keeps racist ideology alive and well and now when their racism is going to work against them they can't resort to even worse racist tactics to escape their quandary.

or

They made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

Werbung:
Genseneca wrote:
... I knew I would either be branded a racist or a sexist once the Democrats picked their nominee, thats how they designed it.

The more you say the deeper you dig your hole. Keep it up and pass me a shovel because if that's going to be your position then I'll be glad to help you dig an appropriate place from which to continue.

Genseneca wrote:

The more you say the deeper you dig your hole. Keep it up and pass me a shovel because if that's going to be your position then I'll be glad to help you dig an appropriate place from which to continue.

Nah... Lets get out the bulldozer:

*-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-*
--------------------------------

Little example...

Obama & Democrat Policy
vs.
McCain & Republican Policy
----------------------
I vote McCain

Now lets just switch their policies:

McCain & Democrat Policy
vs.
Obama & Republican Policy
------------------
I vote Obama

See how that works? Would YOU support McCain under those circumstances?

The tactic of labeling opposition as racist to avoid debate is disgusting and dangerous to civil discourse. Stalin used these tactics in Soviet Russia by labeling opposition mentally ill... Look how well that turned out.

What you think about Black Republicans? ... Stick any of them in McCains position, keep McCains policies or let them craft their own agenda, and I'd still vote for the Republican because their policies, while not better, are LESS DESTRUCTIVE to America than the Democrat proposals.

Tell us more Gensen about how Obama's skin colour makes him different and indeed you imply dangerous. I'll always insist that his (D) could perhaps make him different to you and dangerous to you and your rights but I will never accept that his skin colour has anything in the least to do with how he manages the job as your new pres.

Beneath the skin all people are created equal in your country in your esitmation. So how black can a person be before he's different in your view? Is light brown o.k? How about yellow and red and pink and green?

Gensen can criticize Obama all he likes Rob but when he bring skin colour into the equation then it becomes a racist tactic. And yes, I understand where you are going with this but you would be wise to not go any further. It's a loser from the start. And even though I understand your comments, there is still no escaping the fact that you have supported Gensen and that reflects on you as badly as it reflects on him. And for that reason I'm very disappointed in you because I thought you were intelligent enough to rise above that. Now you have a choice. You can continue with the same line of thought, you can apologize for your mistake, or you can just leave it where it is. I would suggest you give it some thought before continuing.

I said his point had some validity, which is did, and I then explained why. I did not condone the use of racist tactics.

After that I disagreed with his assessment as well, and then commented on how I saw race relations in the US today. I do not think commenting on race relations makes me or anyone else a racist, and to imply that is quite frankly ridiculous.

I said his point had some validity, which is did, and I then explained why. I did not condone the use of racist tactics.

After that I disagreed with his assessment as well, and then commented on how I saw race relations in the US today. I do not think commenting on race relations makes me or anyone else a racist, and to imply that is quite frankly ridiculous.

Thank you. I consider the issue closed satisfactorily with you now.

Tell us more Gensen about how Obama's skin colour makes him different and indeed you imply dangerous.

His policies are dangerous, Obama's pigment only matters to people like you who can use it as a sword and sheild - deflecting criticism and counter attacking with the charge of racism.

Once again, were he espousing Conservative Ideals, like that of smaller government and fiscal responsibility, I'd be singing his praises and pushing for him to be POTUS.

Bush has added checks and balances in regards to oversight of Executive programs. I am more frightened by programs that I do not know exist, than the ones I can freely read about.

Where I concur about secret programs that I cannot or do not know exist, I would have to disagree with you concerning Bush and that he has added checks and balances to his Executive programs.

First of all, He has violated Constitutional law by going to war with Iraq in the first place as evidenced by the findings of the Supreme Court, although be it, indirectly. Congress also violated Constitutional law by passing the power to declare war to Bush. The results of doing so resulted in Guantanomo Bay and the illegal seizure of enemy combatants, as verified by the Supreme Court recently. NYT June 13, 2008, “Supreme Court on the Guantánamo Bay, ruled 5 to 4 that the prisoners there have a constitutional right to go to federal court to challenge their continued detention.” Why did the Supreme Court find that these "enemy combatants" were being held illegally? Maybe the response by our new Attorney General gives us a clue.

Rueters, July 21, 2008 “Congress should explicitly declare a state of armed conflict with al Qaeda to make clear the United States can detain suspected members as long as the war on terrorism lasts, U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey said on Monday.” Why would Mukasey now ask the Congress to declare war with al Qaeda? The reason is that the war was illegal to begin with, according to the Supreme Court. By passing an ex post facto law, the Bush administration can continue with their legal activities such as torture, wiretapping, and the suspension of Habeas Corpus without impunities.

Mukasey, by asking the Congress to pass the ex post facto declaration, is also denying that this is a FORMAL declaration of war. Why? The answer is rather obvious. Article 1 Section 9 Clause 3 of the Constitution says: No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed. If Congress and Mukasey get caught with their pants down and pass an ex post facto law, they have again violated the Constitution of the United States. All these violations of the Constitution can be construed treasonable acts, by the way.

So what has this to do with Bush's Habeas Corpus? He did not start suspending Habeas Corpus until the Military Commissions Act was passed giving the government complete control on whomever they felt is an enemy combatant, that done in 2006 after Congress illegally gave away their checks and balances by giving the President the power to declare war. Now, how can we really have a check and balance when everything rides in the hands of the Commander in chief, including the ability to declare war and arrest anyone, American or not who he thinks may be an enemy combatant?

That brings up my final point. Article 1 Section 9 Clause 2 of the Constitution says: The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Abraham Lincoln was the first to suspend Habeas Corpus because he had a full insurrection on his hand called the Cival War. Even then, a good argument can be made he should never have done so. Bush is the only other President and the last to suspend Habeas Corpus. For what reason? We were invaded by less than two dozen enemy, but it was some 5 years later after the "invasion" that Habeas Corpus was suspended. Why the long wait if the public safety was in danger? Where is the checks and balances to prove our public safety is in danger, so that the government and the military can take away our individual rights at the drop of a hat? Trust? Can we trust an administration who has countlessly lied to us concerning the Iraq war and Guantanomo Bay? Can we trust an Administration who illegally went to war and made an illegal preemptive strike on a sovereign nation? Those acts, in my opinion, are tyrannical and should never be trusted. No, Bush has placed no checks and balances in his Administrative programs, nor has Congress. They have illegally undermined our trust and put not only this country in grave peril, but have trounced on our individual rights in doing so. They have held high disdain for the checks and balances of the people, the United States Constitution, and replaced it with a promise to be good. Balderdash! I have only yours and their word that their new law that replaces the Constitution has checks and balances. Again, Balderdash.

As a correction to my 2nd post in this forum, I said Obama would "immediately suspend Habeas Corpus" but what I really meant to say was that he would immediate reinstate Habeas Corpus when he took office. Sorry for the misquote and confusion.

First of all, He has violated Constitutional law by going to war with Iraq in the first place as evidenced by the findings of the Supreme Court, although be it, indirectly.

This is bogus, when was the last time the US officially declared war on anyone? It has become a norm that the President can do what Bush did.

The results of doing so resulted in Guantanomo Bay and the illegal seizure of enemy combatants, as verified by the Supreme Court recently. NYT June 13, 2008, “Supreme Court on the Guantánamo Bay, ruled 5 to 4 that the prisoners there have a constitutional right to go to federal court to challenge their continued detention.” Why did the Supreme Court find that these "enemy combatants" were being held illegally? Maybe the response by our new Attorney General gives us a clue.

This is bogus too. There was clear legal precedence that gave Bush the power to do this, and there were SC decisions to back it up. They now changed their minds, but it does not mean that when Bush did it he was on solid legal footing.

Rueters, July 21, 2008 “Congress should explicitly declare a state of armed conflict with al Qaeda to make clear the United States can detain suspected members as long as the war on terrorism lasts, U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey said on Monday.” Why would Mukasey now ask the Congress to declare war with al Qaeda? The reason is that the war was illegal to begin with, according to the Supreme Court. By passing an ex post facto law, the Bush administration can continue with their legal activities such as torture, wiretapping, and the suspension of Habeas Corpus without impunities.

He would ask for that because the SC changed their minds. This would go around the SC decision, which is flawed. All of the practices you just mentioned were in place long before even came to office and again he stoof on clear legal footing and OLC decisions to back up his actions.

So what has this to do with Bush's Habeas Corpus? He did not start suspending Habeas Corpus until the Military Commissions Act was passed giving the government complete control on whomever they felt is an enemy combatant, that done in 2006 after Congress illegally gave away their checks and balances by giving the President the power to declare war. Now, how can we really have a check and balance when everything rides in the hands of the Commander in chief, including the ability to declare war and arrest anyone, American or not who he thinks may be an enemy combatant?

The Constitution protects the rights of American citizens. All American citizens retain the same rights as they always have. Every bill passed by Congress on this issue and signed by the President spells that out. This argument basically amounts to Bush "might" do this, and that is bad, but in reality he hasn't done anything illegal.

That brings up my final point. Article 1 Section 9 Clause 2 of the Constitution says: The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Abraham Lincoln was the first to suspend Habeas Corpus because he had a full insurrection on his hand called the Cival War. Even then, a good argument can be made he should never have done so. Bush is the only other President and the last to suspend Habeas Corpus. For what reason? We were invaded by less than two dozen enemy, but it was some 5 years later after the "invasion" that Habeas Corpus was suspended. Why the long wait if the public safety was in danger? Where is the checks and balances to prove our public safety is in danger, so that the government and the military can take away our individual rights at the drop of a hat? Trust? Can we trust an administration who has countlessly lied to us concerning the Iraq war and Guantanomo Bay? Can we trust an Administration who illegally went to war and made an illegal preemptive strike on a sovereign nation? Those acts, in my opinion, are tyrannical and should never be trusted. No, Bush has placed no checks and balances in his Administrative programs, nor has Congress. They have illegally undermined our trust and put not only this country in grave peril, but have trounced on our individual rights in doing so. They have held high disdain for the checks and balances of the people, the United States Constitution, and replaced it with a promise to be good. Balderdash! I have only yours and their word that their new law that replaces the Constitution has checks and balances. Again, Balderdash.

There are more examples than you cite when Presidents have suspended and tried to suspend Habeus Corpus.

* The U.S. Civil War (Abraham Lincoln)

* Reconstruction (Ulysses S. Grant)

* World War II (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)

* Post World War II (Harry S Truman)

* Post-Oklahoma City Bombing (Bill Clinton)

* Post-9/11 (George W. Bush)

You, as an American have lost no rights under GWB. Name one that you have lost that is not explicitly protected in laws passed by Congress.

And since you are so fond of mentioning the Constitution, perhaps you could point to the part where it says the Supreme Court has the power of Judicial Review to begin with?

This is bogus, when was the last time the US officially declared war on anyone? It has become a norm that the President can do what Bush did.
Let's see. You calling it bogus makes it bogus, huh? We are just to believe you, why? Two wrongs have never made a right. Just because wrong may become a norm, it is not law. The Constitution does not back what you say.

This is bogus too. There was clear legal precedence that gave Bush the power to do this, and there were SC decisions to back it up. They now changed their minds, but it does not mean that when Bush did it he was on solid legal footing.
It is bogus that the Supreme Court does not agree with you? Wow. Who do you think you are? There has never been a clear precedence for what Bush has done except in the minds of his true blind believers. When did anyone make a preemptive strike on a sovereign nation before? You are right about one thing, he was never on solid legal footing and he violated the Constitution of the US along with Congress. That is the document THEY swore to uphold. There acts are treason in my opinion, and all who follow them are committing treason to our country.

He would ask for that because the SC changed their minds. This would go around the SC decision, which is flawed. All of the practices you just mentioned were in place long before even came to office and again he stoof on clear legal footing and OLC decisions to back up his actions.
Whereas you have the right to your opinion, that is exactly what it is, and in my opinion, without facts. You thinking is flawed in that you think doing things wrong over and over makes sound practices. Yes, they have been violating the law since day one, and we have been pointing it out since day one. No news here, I just don't want other people to get the idea what they are doing is right just because you say so, and they have been doing it for a long time. Bush and none of his AG's have stood on legal grounds, the Constitution, on almost anything they have done. They hold a disdain for our Constitution as evidenced by their actions. You rationalize it anyway you want to, but the fact is, they have violated the Constitution, especially the Fourth Amendment.

The Constitution protects the rights of American citizens. All American citizens retain the same rights as they always have. Every bill passed by Congress on this issue and signed by the President spells that out. This argument basically amounts to Bush "might" do this, and that is bad, but in reality he hasn't done anything illegal.
I disagree again. Bush has done many things illegal. Torture of prisoners of war is illegal, wiretapping is illegal without a warrant, establishing secret prisons, preparing signing statements claiming the right to selectively enforce laws, ignoring Congressional subpoenas, recognizing no legislative or judicial check on his power, undermining the First Amendment rights to free speech and free assembly, and starting a war on fraudulent grounds. These are all things Bush has done that is illegal, and he should be impeached for. Don't be lazy, just Google the facts on each subject. In reality, your denial that he hasn't done anything illegal is just that, denial. We did not elect George Bush and Dick Cheney to be lawmakers and caretakers of their style of law. They were elected to be leaders of the Executive Branch of Government and to uphold the Constitution of the US. They have shredded that Constitution which makes the rumor Bush said, "It isn't anything more than a goddamn piece of paper" much more believable.

There are more examples than you cite when Presidents have suspended and tried to suspend Habeus Corpus.

* The U.S. Civil War (Abraham Lincoln)

* Reconstruction (Ulysses S. Grant)

* World War II (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)

* Post World War II (Harry S Truman)

* Post-Oklahoma City Bombing (Bill Clinton)

* Post-9/11 (George W. Bush)

You, as an American have lost no rights under GWB. Name one that you have lost that is not explicitly protected in laws passed by Congress.

And since you are so fond of mentioning the Constitution, perhaps you could point to the part where it says the Supreme Court has the power of Judicial Review to begin with?

I beg to differ again. There are Americans losing their rights under GWB. They are well documented. "Already two American citizens have been arbitrarily stripped of their habeas corpus rights by the Bush administration - Jose Padilla is still languishing in prison incommunicado and Yasser Hamdi was deported to the police state of Saudi Arabia where every Friday they conduct public floggings and executions." Check these links out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Esam_Hamdi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Padilla_(prisoner)

Both of these men are US citizens, and their Bill of Rights was trampled on By Bush and company. They are well documented cases, and if it can happen to them, then it can happen to me and you.

Your comments about the Supreme Court and Judicial Review doesn't warrant commenting on. The Constitution gives no such expressed power to the Supreme Court, nor did I allude that it did.[WIKIPEDIA][WIKIPEDIA][WIKIPEDIA][WIKIPEDIA][/WIKIPEDIA][/WIKIPEDIA][/WIKIPEDIA][/WIKIPEDIA]

this is bogus, when was the last time the us officially declared war on anyone? It has become a norm that the president can do what bush did.

let's see. You calling it bogus makes it bogus, huh? We are just to believe you, why? Two wrongs have never made a right. Just because wrong may become a norm, it is not law. The constitution does not back what you say.

this is bogus too. There was clear legal precedence that gave bush the power to do this, and there were sc decisions to back it up. They now changed their minds, but it does not mean that when bush did it he was on solid legal footing.

it is bogus that the supreme court does not agree with you? Wow. Who do you think you are? There has never been a clear precedence for what bush has done except in the minds of his true blind believers. When did anyone make a preemptive strike on a sovereign nation before? You are right about one thing, he was never on solid legal footing and he violated the constitution of the us along with congress. That is the document they swore to uphold. There acts are treason in my opinion, and all who follow them are committing treason to our country.

he would ask for that because the sc changed their minds. This would go around the sc decision, which is flawed. All of the practices you just mentioned were in place long before even came to office and again he stoof on clear legal footing and olc decisions to back up his actions.
whereas you have the right to your opinion, that is exactly what it is, and in my opinion, without facts. You thinking is flawed in that you think doing things wrong over and over makes sound practices. Yes, they have been violating the law since day one, and we have been pointing it out since day one. No news here, i just don't want other people to get the idea what they are doing is right just because you say so, and they have been doing it for a long time. Bush and none of his ag's have stood on legal grounds, the constitution, on almost anything they have done. They hold a disdain for our constitution as evidenced by their actions. You rationalize it anyway you want to, but the fact is, they have violated the constitution, especially the fourth amendment.

the constitution protects the rights of american citizens. All american citizens retain the same rights as they always have. Every bill passed by congress on this issue and signed by the president spells that out. This argument basically amounts to bush "might" do this, and that is bad, but in reality he hasn't done anything illegal.

i disagree again. Bush has done many things illegal. Torture of prisoners of war is illegal, wiretapping is illegal without a warrant, establishing secret prisons, preparing signing statements claiming the right to selectively enforce laws, ignoring congressional subpoenas, recognizing no legislative or judicial check on his power, undermining the first amendment rights to free speech and free assembly, and starting a war on fraudulent grounds. These are all things bush has done that is illegal, and he should be impeached for. Don't be lazy, just google the facts on each subject. In reality, your denial that he hasn't done anything illegal is just that, denial. We did not elect george bush and dick cheney to be lawmakers and caretakers of their style of law. They were elected to be leaders of the executive branch of government and to uphold the constitution of the us. They have shredded that constitution which makes the rumor bush said, "it isn't anything more than a goddamn piece of paper" much more believable.

I beg to differ again. There are americans losing their rights under gwb. They are well documented. "already two american citizens have been arbitrarily stripped of their habeas corpus rights by the bush administration - jose padilla is still languishing in prison incommunicado and yasser hamdi was deported to the police state of saudi arabia where every friday they conduct public floggings and executions." check these links out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yaser_esam_hamdi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/josé_padilla_(prisoner)

both of these men are us citizens, and their bill of rights was trampled on by bush and company. They are well documented cases, and if it can happen to them, then it can happen to me and you.

Your comments about the supreme court and judicial review doesn't warrant commenting on. The constitution gives no such expressed power to the supreme court, nor did i allude that it did.[wikipedia][wikipedia][wikipedia][wikipedia][/wikipedia][/wikipedia][/wikipedia][/wikipedia]

It is bogus that the Supreme Court does not agree with you? Wow. Who do you think you are? There has never been a clear precedence for what Bush has done except in the minds of his true blind believers. When did anyone make a preemptive strike on a sovereign nation before? You are right about one thing, he was never on solid legal footing and he violated the Constitution of the US along with Congress. That is the document THEY swore to uphold. There acts are treason in my opinion, and all who follow them are committing treason to our country.

The decision to deny Al Quada and Taliban detainees POW protections was the proper interpretation of the Geneva Conventions. The US position on this regard has been in place since the 1980's.

The battle started under the Reagan administration when the issue of the Protocol I amendments to the Geneva Convention came up.

The POW protections in the Geneva Conventions were designed to give soldiers an incentive to fight in ways that minimized suffering among combatants and civilians alike. If a soldier wears a uniform and complies with the basic laws of war, he would be treated well if caught. But if (as terrorists do) he wears ordinary clothes and hides among civilians, he endangers the innocent and acts treacherously toward rival soldiers, and thus receives no rights under the Geneva Convention.

In the 1970's, so-called national liberation movements, such as the PLO, tried to alter the understanding of the laws in Protocol I by extending POW and other "combatant" protections to all fighters (such as members of the PLO) who hid among civilians.

This effort dovetailed with the agenda of the nascent human rights movement and groups such as the Red Cross. They saw this as an opportunity to to import more demanding human rights standards into the laws of war by rejecting Geneva's traditional reciprocity requirements by ensuring that there were "no gaps" in the basic protections provided to even the most vicious and law defying combatants. The United States refused to ratify Protocol I and therefore it never became part of United States law.

When the Bush administration acted in 2002 to deny these "combatants" legal protections under the Geneva Conventions he was acting in step with this long held US position that these type fighters should be denied these legal protections. As Will Taft said, "The lawyers all agree that Al Quada and Taliban fighters are presumptively not POW's."

The problem came about because in 2001 almost all of the United States European allies had ratified Protocol I and viewed the US rejection of it as a rejection of International Law (incorrectly), and through the same lens of the "de-signing" of the ICC treaty, as well as the failure to ratify the Kyoto Protocol (which was a good move by the US), and the withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia as a "cowboy" like attitude that the US had taken which would go against their international law norms.

Legally, their views were incorrect, as the United States had never adhered to this Protocol of the Geneva Conventions and therefore was not bound in any manner by it. Their disagreements came mostly in the form of customary law arguments which are ruled void if a US law is in place.

This also followed the legal precedent set by the Clinton White House when he held over 40,000 Cuban "boat people" on the island so that they would not be able to request the political asylum as they would be able to if they were on US soil. Clinton also created the rendition programs and first got the legal order that the US was in an "armed conflict" with Al Quada in 1998 to avoid the ban on murders and assassinations should they find Bin Laden.

Bush's decision to hold prisoners in this facility had clear legal precedent and was no by means against the law or even controversial within all branches of the administration. Only now through the eyes of European international law (that the US never ratified or ascribed to) we are being forced to grant these people legal rights, which is most certainly ridiculous.

As for the US constitution, I say again, Bush was on clear legal footing backed by OLC decision, you can argue it all you want, but you are not going to win in court against that.

I disagree again. Bush has done many things illegal. Torture of prisoners of war is illegal, wiretapping is illegal without a warrant, establishing secret prisons, preparing signing statements claiming the right to selectively enforce laws, ignoring Congressional subpoenas, recognizing no legislative or judicial check on his power, undermining the First Amendment rights to free speech and free assembly, and starting a war on fraudulent grounds. These are all things Bush has done that is illegal, and he should be impeached for.

If you want to call waterboarding toruture, but legally it is not. So again, what law was broken? You clearly have no clue how FISA warrents worked before so I will enlighten you. Before all this came to light, people got FISA warrants after they already done the wiretaps. To get one all you had to do was basically say we need one, and you had it. Bush streamlined the process, not break any laws, and if he did, then they were broken long before he came into office.

Rendition started under Clinton, so I'd like to see you blame Bush for that one too.

I beg to differ again. There are Americans losing their rights under GWB. They are well documented. "Already two American citizens have been arbitrarily stripped of their habeas corpus rights by the Bush administration - Jose Padilla is still languishing in prison incommunicado and Yasser Hamdi was deported to the police state of Saudi Arabia where every Friday they conduct public floggings and executions." Check these links out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Esam_Hamdi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Padilla_(prisoner)

Let's see. Hamdi was picked up in Afghanistan fighting the Americans. That is treason and forfeits your citizenship rights.

Padilla is now a convicted terrorist in a civilian court, I am not sure what your beef is with that.

Your comments about the Supreme Court and Judicial Review doesn't warrant commenting on. The Constitution gives no such expressed power to the Supreme Court, nor did I allude that it did.

I think it is very relevant when the SC decides to legislate from the bench, which is exactly what they are doing in this case, and which they have no express authority to do.

I'm no expert on the US Constitution but this may be helpful:

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0110-33.htm

For example, when Bill Clinton was confronted with a heinous act of terrorism within the United States - the bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City - he didn't declare a "war" on whoever the terrorist may be, or suspend habeas corpus. Instead, he immediately defined the perpetrators as thugs and criminals, and brought the full weight of the American and international criminal justice system to bear, capturing Timothy McVeigh and using Interpol to search the world for possible McVeigh allies. Justice was served, the victims achieved closure, and our rights were left largely intact.

In addition to that, does it not become an issue of the president having to approach congress and request a suspension of Habeus Corpus?

Werbung:
The decision to deny Al Quada and Taliban detainees POW protections was the proper interpretation of the Geneva Conventions. The US position on this regard has been in place since the 1980's.

So, you say, but it is not. What about the Iraqi detainees and the two Americans? What about torture? "The treatment of prisoners who do not fall into the categories described in Article 4 has led to the current controversy regarding the interpretation of "unlawful combatants" by the George W. Bush administration. The assumption that such a category as unlawful combatant exists is not contradicted by the findings by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in the Celebici Judgment. The judgement quoted the 1958 ICRC commentary on the Fourth Geneva Convention: Every person in enemy hands must be either a prisoner of war and, as such, be covered by the Third Convention; or a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention. Furthermore, "There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law," - wikipedia

[/QUOTE]The battle started under the Reagan administration when the issue of the Protocol I amendments to the Geneva Convention came up.

The POW protections in the Geneva Conventions were designed to give soldiers an incentive to fight in ways that minimized suffering among combatants and civilians alike. If a soldier wears a uniform and complies with the basic laws of war, he would be treated well if caught. But if (as terrorists do) he wears ordinary clothes and hides among civilians, he endangers the innocent and acts treacherously toward rival soldiers, and thus receives no rights under the Geneva Convention.

In the 1970's, so-called national liberation movements, such as the PLO, tried to alter the understanding of the laws in Protocol I by extending POW and other "combatant" protections to all fighters (such as members of the PLO) who hid among civilians.

This effort dovetailed with the agenda of the nascent human rights movement and groups such as the Red Cross. They saw this as an opportunity to to import more demanding human rights standards into the laws of war by rejecting Geneva's traditional reciprocity requirements by ensuring that there were "no gaps" in the basic protections provided to even the most vicious and law defying combatants. The United States refused to ratify Protocol I and therefore it never became part of United States law.

When the Bush administration acted in 2002 to deny these "combatants" legal protections under the Geneva Conventions he was acting in step with this long held US position that these type fighters should be denied these legal protections. As Will Taft said, "The lawyers all agree that Al Quada and Taliban fighters are presumptively not POW's."

The problem came about because in 2001 almost all of the United States European allies had ratified Protocol I and viewed the US rejection of it as a rejection of International Law (incorrectly), and through the same lens of the "de-signing" of the ICC treaty, as well as the failure to ratify the Kyoto Protocol (which was a good move by the US), and the withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia as a "cowboy" like attitude that the US had taken which would go against their international law norms.

Legally, their views were incorrect, as the United States had never adhered to this Protocol of the Geneva Conventions and therefore was not bound in any manner by it. Their disagreements came mostly in the form of customary law arguments which are ruled void if a US law is in place.[/QUOTE]
The point you are making is moot. There has already been a precedent established that says "There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law." That means all peoples held by enemy governments must come under the Geneva Conventions. Whether or not we have ratified Protocol I, we signed it.

[/QUOTE]This also followed the legal precedent set by the Clinton White House when he held over 40,000 Cuban "boat people" on the island so that they would not be able to request the political asylum as they would be able to if they were on US soil. Clinton also created the rendition programs and first got the legal order that the US was in an "armed conflict" with Al Quada in 1998 to avoid the ban on murders and assassinations should they find Bin Laden.[/QUOTE]
Another moot point. We were not considered at war with Cuba. All of these illustrations come under different laws.

[/QUOTE]Bush's decision to hold prisoners in this facility had clear legal precedent and was no by means against the law or even controversial within all branches of the administration. Only now through the eyes of European international law (that the US never ratified or ascribed to) we are being forced to grant these people legal rights, which is most certainly ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
It is a matter of opinion whether or not you think it is ridiculous. Bush cannot circumvent the Geneva Convention or any law including the Constitution just because you and he say so. BTW, there is no such thing as European International law, it is either International law or it is not.

[/QUOTE]As for the US constitution, I say again, Bush was on clear legal footing backed by OLC decision, you can argue it all you want, but you are not going to win in court against that.[/QUOTE]
It has already been won in court, that is why Mukasey is asking for a declaration of war.

[/QUOTE]If you want to call waterboarding toruture, but legally it is not. So again, what law was broken? You clearly have no clue how FISA warrents worked before so I will enlighten you. Before all this came to light, people got FISA warrants after they already done the wiretaps. To get one all you had to do was basically say we need one, and you had it. Bush streamlined the process, not break any laws, and if he did, then they were broken long before he came into office. [/QUOTE]
Yes, use of water is torture whether you call it waterboarding or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_torture

[/QUOTE]Rendition started under Clinton, so I'd like to see you blame Bush for that one too. [/QUOTE]
It is immaterial what Clinton did or not do, the subject is Bush and his current illegal activities you seem to want to deny.

[/QUOTE]Let's see. Hamdi was picked up in Afghanistan fighting the Americans. That is treason and forfeits your citizenship rights. [/QUOTE]
As an American citizen, he has the right to a trial by jury guaranteed by the Constitution of the US. He has not committed treason until he has been tried and convicted by his peers. Sorry, but same old denial and argument. It sounds like you would hack up our Constitution.

[/QUOTE]Padilla is now a convicted terrorist in a civilian court, I am not sure what your beef is with that. [/QUOTE]
A moot point. He was first denied his rights and held against his will without due process for 18 months. You said it wouldn't happen here in America. It has. It matters not that he eventually was tried and convicted. The point is and was these tyrants are taking away our Constitutional rights. End of story.

[/QUOTE]I think it is very relevant when the SC decides to legislate from the bench, which is exactly what they are doing in this case, and which they have no express authority to do.[/QUOTE]
That is just your opinion. I think they were doing their job of checks and balances interpreting the Constitution of the US.

Back