Good News Out of Iraq

United States Marine Corps.........................

A "DEPARTMENT" of the United States Navy............not even theyre own branch of military!!!! they work for the Navy...I read the first page, and part of the first response on this page, i am not surprised too see The usual Offhanded callousness ,displayed by brainwashed partisan drones!!! you wanted waffle to calm down

because he handed this silly Grunt his ass, in a pink friggin basket !!!!Waffle ..rock on!! you nailed it dead nuts These guys here are so partisan, its pathetic !!!They are unable to think for themselves,they must have been from the ritalin group of children...

They are like Gumby dolls, posable for any occaision!! The manner in which they attacked you waffle, clearly shows that you have handed them theyre ass!! they are now in damage control mode, i enjoyed your well spoken, educated, ass whoopin very much!!

Nice job

Werbung:
No Im sorry........... I shouldnt have been so offensive ..........i did enjoy your post

i apologise for flaring up at the rest of you

USMC -- The MEN's department of the USN. You're ridiculous, Roker. I went through and refuted his entire argument point by point.

Things in Iraq are certainly improving. I'm sorry that you are so partisan that you refuse to acknowledge any good news out of Iraq. I wonder if you and the rest of the liberals would rather see the U.S. lose because it would aid them politically.

Okay, Mr. Waffle. Calm down. Really. Calm the **** down and stop throwing accusations around. You don't know USMC the Almighty and making generalizations about him based on a singular political opinions is entirely uncalled for.

One thing I will add is that USMC the Almighty has something called INTEGRITY. We disagree on foreign policy, but as a Libertarian I will say that NEVER have I been treated with such respect by a Republican who was also a member of the military.

You people could learn a little about manners from him, especially you, pale rider. That is, if you have enough integrity to even consider it...

Things in Iraq are certainly improving. I'm sorry that you are so partisan that you refuse to acknowledge any good news out of Iraq.

Here of course, we disagree. All of the news out of Iraq is not bad, but what's the bottom line? The bottom line is that it's not working and there's no end in sight. We can't afford 10 more years of this:

2 time Bush voter says our worst fears about Iraq have come true

"My Name Used to Be #200343"

By David Phinney, IPS News. Posted April 7, 2007.

An American former Navy soldier and private contractor imprisoned and tortured in Iraq by the U.S. military and falsely accused of "aiding terrorists" warns that our worst fears about Iraq have come true.

A year ago, Donald Vance learned what its like to be falsely accused by the U.S. military of aiding terrorists. He was held without charge for more than three months in a high-security prison in Iraq, and interrogated daily after sleepless nights without legal counsel or even a phone call to his family.

On Wednesday, the former private security contractor was honored for his ordeal in Washington and for speaking out against the incident. At a luncheon at the National Press Club, Vance received the Ridenhour Prize for Truth-Telling, an award named in memory of Army helicopter gunner Ron Ridenhour who struggled to bring the horrific mass murders at My Lai to the attention of Congress and the Pentagon during the Vietnam War.

Vance was joined by former president Jimmy Carter, who won a lifetime achievement award, and journalist Rajiv Chandrasekaran of The Washington Post who was recognised for his recent book, "Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone".

As hundreds at the luncheon finished their lobster salad, Vance, a two-time George W. Bush voter and Navy veteran, recounted the events of his imprisonment and the grief of his fiancé and family. They did not know if he was alive or dead, he said. They were already making inquiries to the U.S. State Department on how to ship his body home.

He then drew a wider circle around his ordeal to include the countless others who have been held falsely without charge and denied normal legal constitutional protections under law. "My name used to be 200343," Vance said recalling his prisoner ID. "If they can do this to a former Navy man and an American, what is happening to people in facilities all over the world run by the American government?"

Rest of article at:

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/50191

Iraqi Insider: Missteps soured Iraqis on U.S.

By CHARLES J. HANLEY

NEW YORK (AP) -- In a rueful reflection on what might have been, an Iraqi government insider details in 500 pages the U.S. occupation's "shocking" mismanagement of his country - a performance so bad, he writes, that by 2007 Iraqis had "turned their backs on their would-be liberators."

"The corroded and corrupt state of Saddam was replaced by the corroded, inefficient, incompetent and corrupt state of the new order," Ali A. Allawi concludes in "The Occupation of Iraq," newly published by Yale University Press.

Allawi writes with authority as a member of that "new order," having served as Iraq's trade, defense and finance minister at various times since 2003. As a former academic, at Oxford University before the U.S.-British invasion of Iraq, he also writes with unusual detachment.

The U.S.- and British-educated engineer and financier is the first senior Iraqi official to look back at book length on his country's four-year ordeal. It's an unsparing look at failures both American and Iraqi, an account in which the word "ignorance" crops up repeatedly.

First came the "monumental ignorance" of those in Washington pushing for war in 2002 without "the faintest idea" of Iraq's realities. "More perceptive people knew instinctively that the invasion of Iraq would open up the great fissures in Iraqi society," he writes.

What followed was the "rank amateurism and swaggering arrogance" of the occupation, under L. Paul Bremer's Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), which took big steps with little consultation with Iraqis, steps Allawi and many others see as blunders:

- The Americans disbanded Iraq's army, which Allawi said could have helped quell a rising insurgency in 2003. Instead, hundreds of thousands of demobilized, angry men became a recruiting pool for the resistance.

- Purging tens of thousands of members of toppled President Saddam Hussein's Baath party - from government, school faculties and elsewhere - left Iraq short on experienced hands at a crucial time.

- An order consolidating decentralized bank accounts at the Finance Ministry bogged down operations of Iraq's many state-owned enterprises.

- The CPA's focus on private enterprise allowed the "commercial gangs" of Saddam's day to monopolize business.

- Its free-trade policy allowed looted Iraqi capital equipment to be spirited away across borders.

- The CPA perpetuated Saddam's fuel subsidies, selling gasoline at giveaway prices and draining the budget.

Rest of article at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...OUNT?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Three Iraqi journalists killed in three days in Baghdad

Reporters Without Borders today condemned the murder of three Iraqi radio and TV journalists - two of them women - in separate incidents in the capital in the past three days.

“Journalists are no longer just collateral victims of the war,” the press freedom organisation said. “They are also often carefully chosen targets, and this has been so for some time, but three journalists killed in three days is too much. The total number killed since 2003 now stands at 158.”

Reporters Without Borders added: “We again call on Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government to do everything possible to protect journalists and to prosecute those who persecute them. The work of the media in war-torn Iraq is vital, and everything possible must be done to protect it.”

Rest of article at:

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=21623

Gee, why didn't they just take along an armed contingent of helicopters, troops and tanks like McCain did?

USMC -- The MEN's department of the USN. You're ridiculous, Roker. I went through and refuted his entire argument point by point.

Things in Iraq are certainly improving. I'm sorry that you are so partisan that you refuse to acknowledge any good news out of Iraq. I wonder if you and the rest of the liberals would rather see the U.S. lose because it would aid them politically.

Nice ok then ill retract my apology and you can......
you know the rest actually im not partisan at all i dont belong to either party or any party actually i have voted 3rd party for many elections now but am not a ferverent supporter of the party i voted for either I vote for the principle and for whom best represents the MOST of my sentiment

have a nice day

Im not a Liberal?

I know that. I wasn't calling you a liberal, but I was rather asserting that your stance on the Iraq War is aligned with that of liberals.

I can't speak for Rokerijdude, but my stance as a libertarian is not aligned with the liberals. The Democrats simply want to play Republican-lite on defense. That won't work. We need a fundamental change in foreign policy. We need a return to the original foreign policy of non-interventionism:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul375.html

This is what interventionism brings:

"In 1953, Iran had a democratic government. This is a very jarring thing for us to realize now because we are not used to seeing the word "Iran" and the word "democracy" in the same sentence. The fact is, however, that Iran was developing a long, rocky but democratic path in the early 1950s. For reasons which my book explains in great detail, the United States decided, in the summer of 1953, to go in and overthrow that democratic government. The result of that coup was that the Shah was placed back on his throne. He ruled for 25 years in an increasingly brutal and repressive fashion. His tyranny resulted in an explosion of revolution in 1979 the event that we call the Islamic revolution. That brought to power a group of fanatically anti-Western clerics who turned Iran into a center for anti-Americanism and, in particular, anti-American terrorism.

The Islamic regime in Iran also inspired religious fanatics in many other countries, including those who went on to form the Taliban in Afghanistan and give refuge to terrorists who went on to attack the United States. The anger against the United States that flooded out of Iran following the 1979 revolution has its roots in the American role in crushing Iranian democracy in 1953. Therefore, I think it’s not an exaggeration to say that you can draw a line from the American sponsorship of the 1953 coup in Iran, through the Shah’s repressive regime, to the Islamic revolution of 1979 and the spread of militant religious fundamentalism that produced waves of anti-Western terrorism."

From: http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/03/07/29_kinzer.html

I was rather asserting that your stance on the Iraq War is aligned with that of liberals.

I just want to clarify that I personally do not believe in an "America Fails" strategy. Nor do I believe of pulling out. I think we need a change in strategy, that is all.

I know that. I wasn't calling you a liberal, but I was rather asserting that your stance on the Iraq War is aligned with that of liberals.

au cointreaue my military compadre im actually partially liberal on the war on iraq partly conservative and a smattering of independent i share views from all sides of the complex issue that is the Iraq war and the war on terror

What i believe is what I know .....we are NOT waging a war in Iraq.... we are on a police mission again. As usual we are NOT allowed to engage the enemy under certain T.O.E. rulings... thus Tying the hands behind the back. When will we ever learn? war is an ugly thing, when one takes the initiative to do so, they should be entirely aware of all that encompass's WAR...this limited engagement crap, and policing, training, and assisting, has ALWAYS just gotten thousands of young American men and women KILLED

Here and in many other lil god foresaken hell holes... we are Not being allowed to decisevly achieve the objective, which is TOTAL victory, and the Placement of yet another puppet Democracy...

Pulling out is not an option look what happened the last time we pulled out, Todays leaders should have payed closer attention to Patton, and learned what it is to be warriors .pulling out would be catastrophic on many levels what we need is to quit dancing the political correct dance and get to the business of war

I mean isnt that why we went to begin with?

I can't speak for Rokerijdude, but my stance as a libertarian is not aligned with the liberals. The Democrats simply want to play Republican-lite on defense. That won't work. We need a fundamental change in foreign policy. We need a return to the original foreign policy of non-interventionism:

I can respect this. Honestly, you guys (the isolationists/non-interventionists) make a pretty good argument. Nonetheless, I believe that we have to confront the terrorists over there and that simply ignoring the problem will only allow it to grow. Ignoring the Nazis didn't work...

Werbung:
I just want to clarify that I personally do not believe in an "America Fails" strategy. Nor do I believe of pulling out. I think we need a change in strategy, that is all.

I know it's a difficult question, but what do you believe the strategy should be.

Back