Fred Phelps church met by counter protest in Seattle

Popeye

2009340090.jpg

Are these people from the Westboro Baptist Church mentally ill or what? It should trouble members of the RW that their views on homosexuality and Obama mesh rather well with those of Fred Phelps and his followers.

Sure, Westboro is a whole lot more crass about it, but we've heard the gays are going to hell and Obama is the anti Christ mantra from mainstream members of the right too....I guess that's why they call them wingnuts.

Anyway, congratulations to these students from Garfield High.

A boisterous counterprotest by hundreds of Garfield High School students and other community members voiced messages of tolerance in drowning out a small extremist group's provocative demonstration in Seattle's Central Area early today that declared President Obama is the Antichrist and that God hates homosexuals.

Waving signs reading "God hates Fags" and "God hates Obama," the group of seven people from the Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church stood in a gravel lot behind metal barriers across the street from Garfield High for about 30 minutes this morning, chanting and singing about a vengeful God and the end of the world.

As they did, dozens of passers-by in cars and on foot filed by to honk, wave fists, wag middle fingers and shout obscenities at the small group, whose message was overwhelmed by the singing, cheers and protest chants from of the crowd of teens and others gathered across the street at the school's main entrance.

Students, teachers, parents, local church leaders, members of gay and lesbian groups and others held hands and sang songs, with many donning purple — Garfield's school color — as a sign of solidarity. Some handed out buttons reading "I am loved," others waved signs with felt-penned messages, such as "God hates Figs" and "You're not in Kansas Anymore," to counteract the church group's infamous rhetoric.

"This is an affirmation of our community's strength," said Hanna King, 15, a Garfield sophomore who organized the opposition rally, which ended about the time school started. "It has nothing to do with them; they're crazy. This is about what we believe."

Across 23rd Avenue the group of seven Westboro Baptist Church members, all relatives of Fred Phelps, a bombastic Christian preacher who runs the church, waved signs and chanted messages that hinged on repenting or burning in hell. The group is well-known for cheering the deaths of U.S. soldiers, which is says is evidence of God's anger at America for condoning homosexuality.

"It doesn't take many people to stir up a crowd when you are preaching God's truth," said Paulette Phelps, 48, Fred Phelps' daughter. "The world is coming to an end and we need to repent or face God's wrath."

Paulette Phelps said the group targeted Garfield High School because it's one of the city's largest high schools and supports a student gay and lesbian organization.

Seattle police said the group, which travels across the country, comes to Seattle about once a year. It held similar protests Sunday outside two synagogues and a Catholic Church.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009339984_garfield16m.html?syndication=rss

Werbung:
Almost everyone in the Westboro Baptist Church is a relative of ol' Fred, my guess is that there's some inbreeding been goin' on. Many kinds of mental illness are hereditary or at least familial, and inbreeding reinforces the genetic weaknesses dramatically.

These folks are like poster children for mental illness.

Almost everyone in the Westboro Baptist Church is a relative of ol' Fred, my guess is that there's some inbreeding been goin' on. Many kinds of mental illness are hereditary or at least familial, and inbreeding reinforces the genetic weaknesses dramatically.

These folks are like poster children for mental illness.

I have to tell everyone it's these types of groups that got me interested in the importance of politics. I was always an Independent up until President Clinton ran. By that time I had seen over & over again the crazy insane meanness on issue after issue from the Right.

I made up my mind that if that was part of one side I definitely wanted to help out the other one... hence my Democratic efforts ever since.

If it was inbreeding that caused this they'd at least have a medical reason for their actions. But this is what I see. I almost always see two common denominators in this kind of violent lunacy... religious fanaticism and an overall hate of any rules or rights they don't agree with causing a way overreacting disdain of anything government related.

Or inbreeding...:D

2009340090.jpg

Are these people from the Westboro Baptist Church mentally ill or what? It should trouble members of the RW that their views on homosexuality and Obama mesh rather well with those of Fred Phelps and his followers.

Sure, Westboro is a whole lot more crass about it, but we've heard the gays are going to hell and Obama is the anti Christ mantra from mainstream members of the right too....I guess that's why they call them wingnuts.

Anyway, congratulations to these students from Garfield High.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009339984_garfield16m.html?syndication=rss

This group is scary. I wonder who is funding them. They seem to be able to afford to fly to some site at the drop of a hate with the "God hates you" signs. They cant work or they would not be able to get to all these locations, someone is funding them and who ever it is, is dangerous.

This group is scary. I wonder who is funding them. They seem to be able to afford to fly to some site at the drop of a hate with the "God hates you" signs. They cant work or they would not be able to get to all these locations, someone is funding them and who ever it is, is dangerous.

Actually, they have their own bus. Who helps finance them, I don't know.

2009340090.jpg

Anyway, congratulations to these students from Garfield High.​
I'd say this falls under the banner of "The Kids Are Alright"!!!!!

The tradition continues...........finally!!

antiwar.demo.sm.jpeg

"REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"The old get old
And the young get stronger
May take a week
And it may take longer
They got the guns
But we got the numbers
Gonna win, yeah
Were takin over
Come on!"

The Doors

Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of humor in these signs the Phelps people are waving around? They don't tease. They don't parody. They don't engage in word play. They are devoid of wit. Forget about irony, mimicry, double-entendres. of any of that. They just don't do humor. "America is doomed," and "You're going to Hell" are all we get, and none of it is calculated to make us smile or win hearts and minds. Doom is nothing to smile about, I guess, and threats are more effective than persuasion at Westboro Baptist Church.

Maybe it's really the "gay-ness" of gays and lesbians that irks them--the parodic and ironic character of our sensibility. Among the signs on the other side, opposite Phelps's crowd, I saw, "God hates figs," "You need a citation," and "You're not in Kansas anymore."

It's unlikely they understood any of this. It's doubtful they even knew about Jesus cursing the fig tree (I've noticed most fundamentalists appear not to have read the Bible), and they may not have considered the double meaning of "citation" or the quotation from "The Wizard of Oz." It was probably all just over their heads.

someone must be helping them, it cost a whole lot of money to drive these people all over the states to say God hates you. They really do freak me out

You want the REALLY scary version? What if God really does Hate Fags and everybody else and He is financing them?:eek:

Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of humor in these signs the Phelps people are waving around? They don't tease. They don't parody. They don't engage in word play. They are devoid of wit. Forget about irony, mimicry, double-entendres. of any of that. They just don't do humor. "America is doomed," and "You're going to Hell" are all we get, and none of it is calculated to make us smile or win hearts and minds. Doom is nothing to smile about, I guess, and threats are more effective than persuasion at Westboro Baptist Church.

Maybe it's really the "gay-ness" of gays and lesbians that irks them--the parodic and ironic character of our sensibility. Among the signs on the other side, opposite Phelps's crowd, I saw, "God hates figs," "You need a citation," and "You're not in Kansas anymore."

It's unlikely they understood any of this. It's doubtful they even knew about Jesus cursing the fig tree (I've noticed most fundamentalists appear not to have read the Bible), and they may not have considered the double meaning of "citation" or the quotation from "The Wizard of Oz." It was probably all just over their heads.

Excellent observation my friend.

I guess it's hard to wax poetic... when you're just one big slimy ball of hate.

Which God?????????

:confused:

Their God, of course. What if He really is the Big Cheese? Look at all the stuff He did in the Old Testament--talk about a mean bastard, and a twisted one at that. Bake bread with human feces and force people to out in public to eat it? Hello? We put people in prison for that kind of thing.

Yeah, I don't buy it either.

Werbung:
Their God, of course. What if He really is the Big Cheese? Look at all the stuff He did in the Old Testament--talk about a mean bastard, and a twisted one at that. Bake bread with human feces and force people to out in public to eat it? Hello? We put people in prison for that kind of thing.

Yeah, I don't buy it either.

What do you mean bake bread out of peoples faces and force others to eat it?

I dont know what you mean

Back