Federal government shows a budget surplus

Keep in mind that the government got a massive capital gains tax boost from last year that is unlikely to repeat itself, and also I believe it was Fannie Mae that paid $60 billion to the government at the beginning of June.

So, that 60 B would account for just over half of June's surplus.

Werbung:
So, that 60 B would account for just over half of June's surplus.

Yep. From the WSJ:

Receipts during the October to June period have jumped about 14% to $2.087 trillion, thanks largely to higher payroll taxes, higher tax rates for households making more than $450,000, solid job growth and stronger incomes.

Spending for the nine-month period is down 5%. Defense outlays fell 7%. Unemployment payments declined 24%, reflecting an improving labor market as well as a reduction in extended jobless benefits.

Under current policies, the deficit is expected to fall to $642 billion for the full fiscal year and get as low as $378 billion in 2015, according to Congressional Budget Office projections. (my edit -- these projections are somewhat dubious, but it would be great if they came to pass) The deficit for the prior year was $1.089 trillion. The last time the deficit was under $1 trillion was 2008, when spending outpaced revenue by $458.55 billion.

Yep. From the WSJ:

Receipts during the October to June period have jumped about 14% to $2.087 trillion, thanks largely to higher payroll taxes, higher tax rates for households making more than $450,000, solid job growth and stronger incomes.

Spending for the nine-month period is down 5%. Defense outlays fell 7%. Unemployment payments declined 24%, reflecting an improving labor market as well as a reduction in extended jobless benefits.

Under current policies, the deficit is expected to fall to $642 billion for the full fiscal year and get as low as $378 billion in 2015, according to Congressional Budget Office projections. (my edit -- these projections are somewhat dubious, but it would be great if they came to pass) The deficit for the prior year was $1.089 trillion. The last time the deficit was under $1 trillion was 2008, when spending outpaced revenue by $458.55 billion.

Wow! So, Washington is doing something right, after all. Spending is down, unemployment is down, tax receipts are up, the deficit is down, and all this not from a liberal blog, but from the WSJ. That sounds like good news to me.

Wow! So, Washington is doing something right, after all. Spending is down, unemployment is down, tax receipts are up, the deficit is down, and all this not from a liberal blog, but from the WSJ. That sounds like good news to me.

unemployment is down because of the dropping workforce participation. and isnt it funny how we have 3ook+ initial claims for unemployment every week to 100k+ more jobs and somehow that = growth ?

This past January, along with everything else.

The top marginal tax rate went from 35% to 39.4%
Phase out of personal exemptions, limits on deductions and social security went from 4.2% to 6.2%.
Also, capital gains went from 15% to 20%.

Some tax increases won't result in higher revenues - like the top marginal tax rate. But some will.

Werbung:

If that is the case, then tax expenditures should be up, receipts down, and the deficit growing.

Back