FDR - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Archangelwolf

In my opinion, Franklin Roosevelt was the BEST President. Before I explain why, I must reiterate that we can not judge a President on what happened 40 years after he left office. That is not a fair assessment; because ANY President would change their actions if they had a crystal ball. In fact, in FDR's case, I think he would have GIVEN UP office if he had a crystal ball. But I digress....

The reason that FDR is my favorite President is because, in the beginning days of his administration, he just let loose. Yes, there was concern that some of the things he was doing to get us out of the depression was unconstitutional; but he knew that the people did not care. Desperate times call for desperate measures; and FDR rolled up his sleeves, and went to work. The American people elected him to office because they wanted results; and he was prepared to deliver.

I am glad that the Supreme Court overturned some of his bills; because I do believe in our Judicial system, and I do believe that had he been TOO successful, corruption would have been inevitable. We must have checks and balances to secure our government's accountability; which is one reason I have been so concerned about our CURRENT administration.

FDR was willing to try ANYTHING to relieve the American people; and lead them. It is THIS kind of person that I have much respect for in politics in EITHER party. This country has not had a real leader since Reagan; and that is obvious by all of the division we now experience. It is very dissappointing and disheartening. However, there is hope.

I have heard a lot about Obama; but in all honesty, as much as it pains me to make this assessment, America is not ready for a biracial President. I do not see him winning. The most unifying candidate for the American people that I see is Rudolph Guiliani; but he will alienate the far-right, because of his soft beliefs on homosexuality and abortion; thus, the Republican Party may not even nominate him.

I am hoping that someone arises; but our current political situation may prevent it.

That is my 2c

Arch.

Werbung:
hey arch, welcome to houseofpolitics.com!

yeah, FDR was a great president. i dont think i can disagree with you there.

but why do you say that FDR would have given up his office if he has a crystal ball or see the future?

i also hope that we get some good candidate for our 2008 election

I think its way too easy for people to say that FDR is the greatest president that we have ever have. I disagree with that statement, I believe he was definatley one of the most atrocious presidents that the US had. Aside from his flirtation with the abolishment of the American democratic process (4 terms as president). There was also Executive Order 9066 and the Manhattan Project which he was responsible for.

If FDR had a crystal ball, and knew that his life would end while he was in office, he would have given it up. He would have wanted to do OTHER things in life other than be President. That position is not all it is cut out to be.

FDR dealt with necessity. When we were in crisis, either with the Depression or with the War, he said damn the consequences, and put us in a position to help ourselves. It is a fact that the Nazi's were trying to develop the nuclear bomb before we were. FDR probably saved millions of lives with the Manhattan Project. Otherwise, we might all be living in concentration camps in Siberia.

Arch.

How is that you know the personal ambitions of FDR? The point is regardless of what his "intent" or whatever his "character" was that is pure speculation.

Saved millions of lives with the manhattan project? One it had nothing to do with Nazi's, dropping the bomb ended our conflict with Japan, Nazi Germany was already losing, so I dont get your correlation, it did the exact opposite of saving a speculated "million" lives. And aside from that, how would you also defend the interment of over a hundred thousand innocent American citizens?

FDR was a great president, but I really like President Lincoln, I like honest abe a lot. From what I kno, FDR lied to us a lot, but ultimately kept us in the dark on purpose to get us thru.

I think its way too easy for people to say that FDR is the greatest president that we have ever have. I disagree with that statement, I believe he was definatley one of the most atrocious presidents that the US had. Aside from his flirtation with the abolishment of the American democratic process (4 terms as president). There was also Executive Order 9066 and the Manhattan Project which he was responsible for.

And the spin keeps on coming. The Manhatten Project was one of this country's greatest endeavors. You seem to forget that a President's purpose is to secure the country. That's what he did. Now his Communist-like, big-gov't social programs are another issue.

Saved millions of lives with the manhattan project? One it had nothing to do with Nazi's, dropping the bomb ended our conflict with Japan, Nazi Germany was already losing, so I dont get your correlation, it did the exact opposite of saving a speculated "million" lives.

Military historians estimate that an invasion of the Japanese homeland might have resulted in the deaths of anywhere from 2 million to 15 million people. THAT'S how dropping the bomb saved lives. Think long term...

I do not like the internment of Japanese-Americans; but at that time, we were also severely segregated from blacks. There is some consistency there.

Arguing about the internment is like arguing about Abraham Lincoln's slaves. These things have to be discussed in context with the times.

Woodrow Wilson fired every black American that worked remotely close to the White House during his administration. Also an honorary member of the KKK, Wilson was from Virginia, and opposed any type of legislation that promoted racial integration. It was even evident in his original proposals about the League of Nations.

To say that the internment makes FDR a bad President is to say that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and about half of our Presidents were bad for owning slaves. Shoot, do you honestly believe that Bill Clinton is the first President to suffer from infidelity while in the White House?

We are all entitled to our opinions; but I commend FDR. We were in a crisis, and we needed something done. He said damn the consequences; and went to work for the American people. It is nice when our elected officials, especially the President, actually LISTENS to the American people.

Arch.

I know from autobiographical sketches, journals, and diaries that I have read. FDR loved his grandchildren, and regretted that he did not have more time with them. Had he known that he would not live out his Presidency; he would have opted out to spend his last remaining years in peace. It is typical human nature.

Arch.

And the spin keeps on coming. The Manhatten Project was one of this country's greatest endeavors. You seem to forget that a President's purpose is to secure the country. That's what he did. Now his Communist-like, big-gov't social programs are another issue.

Pray tell how nuking and killing millions of innocent people protecting the country? Where is the spin? And your comparison between anything FDR did and communism makes me assume you know not much about either Communism or Capitalism, NOTHING in American politics has ever been close to any sort of communism.

Werbung:
Pray tell how nuking and killing millions of innocent people protecting the country? Where is the spin? And your comparison between anything FDR did and communism makes me assume you know not much about either Communism or Capitalism, NOTHING in American politics has ever been close to any sort of communism.

God Dammit, just read all my posts in the thread again. I don't feel like repeating myself.

And they weren't nukes.

Back