Expensive fantasies

Lat week my company purchased 4 new trailers at a cost of 340,000K. They replaced 4 trailers that were still usable, but old. Were we wrong in the purchase, we had 4 usable trailers?

It would be wrong if your company were approaching bankruptcy as is the US government.

Werbung:
It would be wrong if your company were approaching bankruptcy as is the US government.
One would think, but the bond market is far from dead, if we sink, they all sink. Without the trailers our ability to service our customers is threatened, with them we can continue deliveries lowering maintenance and delivery cost, in essence they pay for themselves over a period of time. The numbers in our deficit are mind boggling, but the same was thought in 1929. We have asked no special burden be put on the American people to cover the price of our wars, it is time we did instead of putting the burden only on our soldiers. The time for fear is over, it's time for determination and a plan. The sky is not falling

Lat week my company purchased 4 new trailers at a cost of 340,000K. They replaced 4 trailers that were still usable, but old. Were we wrong in the purchase, we had 4 usable trailers? On the surface this seems silly to ask, but that is the basis of the debate we are having. Cap an trade will cost, but eventually new industries will emerge to support the bill, this will take a long time. Wind, solar, geothermal, nuke all cost alot up front with no real time on when they will pay back. Think of it this way, the price of oil will continue to go up and wreak havoc on our economy in cycles not predictable for reasons not controllable, it is a commodity. The other power resources are unlimited, and yes they can be refined to be practicable, but it will take a concerted effort. As I have said before, the first nation to become oil free will write it's own ticket for the next 100 years, and it better be us. I am tired of people saying it cannot be done, or it costs too much or it's a conspiracy-this is America, we can and have done whatever we have to do so lets quit whining and get with the program

You will find most people support alternative energy...the difference in opinion comes more down to the issue of do we want the government to simply mandate a new market where one would otherwise not exist in a free market.

You want real progress...get government out of the way and let the market work.

You will find most people support alternative energy...the difference in opinion comes more down to the issue of do we want the government to simply mandate a new market where one would otherwise not exist in a free market.

You want real progress...get government out of the way and let the market work.

Ain't that the truth!

No more government subsidies for ANYTHING. Let the free market and private enterprise work.

And what about the link between nuclear reactors and global warming?

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

OK, so you got my curiosity up, and I searched it. Nothing about nuclear reactors and global warming, however.

Nuclear reactors don't produce greenhouse gasses, do they?

OK, so you got my curiosity up, and I searched it. Nothing about nuclear reactors and global warming, however.

Nuclear reactors don't produce greenhouse gasses, do they?

Uggh, I typed out most of my answer then hit a button and lost it all before posting it.

Anyway.

I have never heard of any connection to nuclear and global warming either but...

All other forms of energy use energy that was first given to our planet from the sun. There is thus a net neutral change in the total amount of heat from any source of energy except nuclear. Nuclear energy takes energy from the atom and the resulting heat energy adds 100% to the temperature of the planet. I doubt it is any significant amount.

Then again the total amount of heating of our planet from CO2 which is a minor greenhouse gas is not very big and man's contribution to that is a tiny percent of a percent. Also an insignificant amount.

People who worry about the heat from either nuclear power or from man's contribution of CO2 must be reading too much Dune when they develop their terraforming ideas.

Werbung:
Uggh, I typed out most of my answer then hit a button and lost it all before posting it.

Frustrating, isn't it? I've done the same thing.
Anyway.

I have never heard of any connection to nuclear and global warming either but...

All other forms of energy use energy that was first given to our planet from the sun. There is thus a net neutral change in the total amount of heat from any source of energy except nuclear. Nuclear energy takes energy from the atom and the resulting heat energy adds 100% to the temperature of the planet. I doubt it is any significant amount.

That does make sense, and I also doubt it is any significant amount.

Then again the total amount of heating of our planet from CO2 which is a minor greenhouse gas is not very big

Correct. The total warming has been about one degree Kelvin out of somewhere around 275 degrees average temperature, or just over 1/3 of 1%

and man's contribution to that is a tiny percent of a percent.

the jury is still out on that one. Most climatologists would say that it is more than that.

Also an insignificant amount.

Perhaps.

People who worry about the heat from either nuclear power or from man's contribution of CO2 must be reading too much Dune when they develop their terraforming ideas.

Maybe. We know that the average temperature of the Earth is increasing, and that the increase is causing changes in local climates. We know that human activities is accelerating the process. We don't know by how much, nor do we know what the outcome is likely to be.

What is truly doubtful is that humans can reverse global warming.

Back