Dragonfly or Insect Spy?

KOF, listen man....seriously. The article doesn't even say that they're not JUST DRAGONFLIES, I mean someone saw a big bug and freaked out, when one of these things is flat on my windshield, then I'll start to wonder what the hell is going on, but the fact remains, technology does NOT YET EXIST that AT THIS TIME (OR within the near (within the year) future) to create remote self motile automatons or remote control systems that can functionally and with useful results carry any equipment for data retrieval. I mean something would have to be the size of a small bird (humming bird sized perhaps) to carry the gear, camera/audio/tranciever/control/servos/motivator etc which are all required for such a "bug"....

now as far as robotics goes, I've several friends who work for a company called time domain here in town, they do all kindsa cool lil embedded bots and such, I assure you, these guys are bleeding edge, gov't contracts and all that goodness, while some of the stuff they've worked on I'm sure would get you roiling, it's nothing NEAR what you're purporting here....the miniaturization technology simply DOES NOT EXIST>

Listen lady, so you think you know about 1 company. Big deal. What about ALL the other companies? Please try to think outside the box.

Werbung:
Listen lady, so you think you know about 1 company. Big deal. What about ALL the other companies? Please try to think outside the box.

Excuse me? There is no need for name calling, I am male, and I do not appreciate such banter from you.

Technology, a sector I am ALL too familiar with, simply DOES NOT HAVE THE MICRONIZATION REQUIRED TO FILL SUCH A SPECIFICATION. It is IMPOSSIBLE, not just improbable. It's not about thinking outside the box, it's about having a background in electronic engineering and KNOWING that componants simply do not exist for motor control / transmission / data collection that could exist at such a size as a "dragon fly" even a bird sized machine would be hard pressed to fulfill the requirement. I don't think you understand the physics behind bird wing flight, which requires variable angle of attack to generate sufficient lift. Insect aerodynamics on the other hand is a bit different, thrust is, for example, created by variable spead downstroke (slower) vs. the higher speed upstroke. A machine using insectile aerodynamics would require a pretty sophisticated gyroscopic control to maintain correct AoA of the central mass to support direction and flight pathing..The biggest problem with the "flapping wing" robot is simply we REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND FLAPPING WING AERODYNAMICS YET, we're not as smart as you'd like to believe... There are many models of aerodynamics for insect wings, the problem is they all seem to be missing various things when approximating the actual lift/thrust vs. motion of the airfoil. Unlike fixed airfoils (airplanes etc) we have no exacting formula for determine lift/thrust/etc for a flapping wing. Other problems I don't feel like going into for insect sized robotics is the aerodynamics of the body shape, body weight shifting, angle of attack of central mass and its effect on thrust provocation, you have a lot more than just some flapping wings to make things fly, and each control over each variable required will be additional weight and micronized non-solid state control systems ( solenoids, motors, powersourcing, etc) all problematic to your supposition.

The physics of micro air vehicles, which are what these would be, and their flight, revolve around a number known as the Reynolds Number. In fluid mechanics, Reynolds number is the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces and gives the relative importance of these two types of forces for given conditions (inertial forces/viscous forces). Current robotic air vehicles have Reynolds numbers around the size of a bird and NO WHERE near insect.

I don't think that I have a problem thinking outside the box, I think you have a problem realizing the difference between fantasy and reality, while I'm sure some conspiratorial acts occur within the government I don't believe they're using "magic" (which obviously you believe in) to spy on its citizens. Stop smoking all those drugs and read this http://www.amazon.com/dp/1563475170/

Excuse me? There is no need for name calling, I am male, and I do not appreciate such banter from you.

Technology, a sector I am ALL too familiar with, simply DOES NOT HAVE THE MICRONIZATION REQUIRED TO FILL SUCH A SPECIFICATION. It is IMPOSSIBLE, not just improbable. It's not about thinking outside the box, it's about having a background in electronic engineering and KNOWING that componants simply do not exist for motor control / transmission / data collection that could exist at such a size as a "dragon fly" even a bird sized machine would be hard pressed to fulfill the requirement. I don't think you understand the physics behind bird wing flight, which requires variable angle of attack to generate sufficient lift. Insect aerodynamics on the other hand is a bit different, thrust is, for example, created by variable spead downstroke (slower) vs. the higher speed upstroke. A machine using insectile aerodynamics would require a pretty sophisticated gyroscopic control to maintain correct AoA of the central mass to support direction and flight pathing..The biggest problem with the "flapping wing" robot is simply we REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND FLAPPING WING AERODYNAMICS YET, we're not as smart as you'd like to believe... There are many models of aerodynamics for insect wings, the problem is they all seem to be missing various things when approximating the actual lift/thrust vs. motion of the airfoil. Unlike fixed airfoils (airplanes etc) we have no exacting formula for determine lift/thrust/etc for a flapping wing. Other problems I don't feel like going into for insect sized robotics is the aerodynamics of the body shape, body weight shifting, angle of attack of central mass and its effect on thrust provocation, you have a lot more than just some flapping wings to make things fly, and each control over each variable required will be additional weight and micronized non-solid state control systems ( solenoids, motors, powersourcing, etc) all problematic to your supposition.

The physics of micro air vehicles, which are what these would be, and their flight, revolve around a number known as the Reynolds Number. In fluid mechanics, Reynolds number is the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces and gives the relative importance of these two types of forces for given conditions (inertial forces/viscous forces). Current robotic air vehicles have Reynolds numbers around the size of a bird and NO WHERE near insect.

I don't think that I have a problem thinking outside the box, I think you have a problem realizing the difference between fantasy and reality, while I'm sure some conspiratorial acts occur within the government I don't believe they're using "magic" (which obviously you believe in) to spy on its citizens. Stop smoking all those drugs and read this http://www.amazon.com/dp/1563475170/

YOUR IN ON THE CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH......

Well what about the mind controlled mosquitos? The secret program where the CIA trains through hypnosis mosquitos and releases them in movie theaters and county fairs and they are designed to detect people with bird flu. The mosquito then bites them first. Then bites everyone else in the place and then everyone has bird flu.

It goes hand in hand of the navy trained seagulls to dive to great depths and bite the airhoses of SCUBA divers swimming from Pakistan to set off EMP bombs in Denver. ;)

Werbung:
Well what about the mind controlled mosquitos? The secret program where the CIA trains through hypnosis mosquitos and releases them in movie theaters and county fairs and they are designed to detect people with bird flu. The mosquito then bites them first. Then bites everyone else in the place and then everyone has bird flu.

It goes hand in hand of the navy trained seagulls to dive to great depths and bite the airhoses of SCUBA divers swimming from Pakistan to set off EMP bombs in Denver. ;)

mosquito-01.gif

The mosquitos are a lie... move along citizen.

Back