Do you believe in the No Liquid Area!

Brandon

Since the threat in London, the TSA has now banned all liquids including gels, lotions, perfumes, deodorants, toothpastes, etc...

I recently went through this. I was flying down to visit Jim in NYC. During my ride I encountered a group of cops with K-9 units before I even got to Logan International.

I then made my way to my gate in which I was screened. My laptop came out of my bag and my shoes came off. Since the TSA decides to change what can and cannot board an airplane, I never really know what not to put in my carry-on bags. A TSA employee than held up a bag and asked for the owner. I said it was mine. After he opened it and started digging, he pulled out a stick of deodorant (a solid stick, I might add). He told me I can't bring it on board. I shrugged and continued to the gate. As I made my way to the A train. I saw a group of cops in full riot gear and thick flack jackets.

The way back home was just as annoying. Except at the Airport Station in Boston, there was a single state trooper packing what appeared to be a MP-5. If anyone knows what an MP-5 can do, you will realize it is for killing groups of people not single terrorist cells.

Walking around airports is like living in another country. A place were your rights don't exist and the police are free to do what they please. They get away with this because people are to busy to voice their opinion for fear of being arrested or detained. Hence missing their flight, losing time and money.

Werbung:
What a way to take advantage of people!

And honestly, it's a little wasteful, too. I mean, you can't fly with certain necessities (i.e. deodorant), so you have to buy some at your destination. And if it's not a long trip, you probably won't use up even a sample size. So you just throw it away. Now, sample/travel-sized products are not that expensive. But it nonetheless encourages waste.

It makes you wonder if in some way it is also some sort of marketing ploy huh? (smile)

The airline companies are furious because the new TSA rules are crippling an already crippled industry.

Here in the U.K., I think it's even worse at the moment. There is so much daily confusion about what you can carryon and even when! Not to mention that British Airways has 8,000 lost bags they're trying to deal with. I read yesterday that during the heightened alert, check in people were putting cell phones on the belt and other small items which weren't labeled as to owner and also so light in weight, the belt system kept jamming.

The airlines here are asking for government assistance and pay back for the monies spent last week. I think they are right to do so!

Five years from now, everyone will be flying naked. I swear.

When Brandon told me they took away his deodorant, I didn't know what to say. DEODORANT?!?! Are you f*cking serious?! Were they afraid you'd stab someone with it? The whole idea of trying to prevent people from bringing liquids (and apparently solids too) onto a flight is just insane. People get thirsty and need to have something to drink. Next thing you know, they'll be charging exorbitant prices for drinks on planes like they do at movie theaters, and the government will be there to enforce the "no outside beverages" policy. Four dollars for a can of soda, anyone?

Furthermore, the TSA's searches at the airport are a blatant violation of the constitutional right not to be searched without a warrant or probable cause. Screenings used to be performed by private security forms hired by the airports, which did not violate the Constitution. But having TSA agents present to search everyone coming through the airport is no different from stationing police around a city to have them search everyone who walks by.

In the future, the practices of the TSA may very well be used as a legal precedent that allows police to search without warrants or cause. The New York police already exercise this illegitimate power in the subways, despite there being no statutory basis for it. I see it as only a matter of time before such searches become common not only on private property but on public property as well.

In all their zealousness to rid the skies of liquid and underarm deodorant, the TSA is more likely to not be performing its real job (preventing weapons and dangerous people from entering airplanes) at an optimal level. Furthermore, as capitalist_junkie said, the practice is wasteful and is basically theft. Maybe it's part of a new Bush economic plan.

In all their zealousness to rid the skies of liquid and underarm deodorant, the TSA is more likely to not be performing its real job (preventing weapons and dangerous people from entering airplanes) at an optimal level.

Good point. By being nitpicky about things like that, bigger problems can easily slip by. I mean, they need to find a balance in what they're looking for. I think a lot of what they're doing is a waste of time.

And boy, am I going to be annoyed if there comes a day when I spend $150 or so for a plane ticket and then have to pay an outrageous price for a soda when I get thirsty.

I have been worried about airline security since the implementation of the “no liquid” rule. I think that security is being stretched too thin by such regulations, and I do believe that bigger issues will arise because of such a sharp focus on one issue.
I also have to say that I think we are headed into a time when it will be considered commonplace for military and police searches of people. If the government can search you in the subway, or in an airport then what else is the next logical step… Jim hit the nail on the head I think.

Five years from now, everyone will be flying naked. I swear.

I have this vision of a whole new line of air travel clothing, see through like the backpacks that city high schools now require. It could cut down on the amount of travellers, which would speed up the lines.

Werbung:
Hey why the hell not, at least then you would know who you were flying with. although maybe a little too much. I perfer the see through clothing idea, it just seems less intrusive to me. I have no idea why, maybe I just wouldn't want to sit naked on an airline seat.

Back