Do religious schools shelter children from toughness?

Jason76

When I was going to school it was tough. A lot of students weren't nice to misfits, and lots of bullying, racism, and homophobia was in place. However, is it better for kids to be raised in that environment, or in some place where they're sheltered from real people? I mean, they're going to have to meet "mean people" eventually in life anyways.

Werbung:
I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but as for my family's, the answer is a resounding, "no!" My eldest daughter attended a private Christian school, and there were a lot of problems with the kids there. There was lying, stealing, out of wedlock pregnancy and the propensity toward bullying. The main difference was that the behavior was not condoned, nor was it ignored by parents or faculty. The students, if caught, were punished. She was not ignorant of "real" people, or real life situations. After all, Christians are human and fallible.

Werbung:
I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but as for my family's, the answer is a resounding, "no!" My eldest daughter attended a private Christian school, and there were a lot of problems with the kids there. There was lying, stealing, out of wedlock pregnancy and the propensity toward bullying. The main difference was that the behavior was not condoned, nor was it ignored by parents or faculty. The students, if caught, were punished. She was not ignorant of "real" people, or real life situations. After all, Christians are human and fallible.

Public schools don't condone bullying. They just don't really do anything about it. At the most, if a fight breaks out, they would give the attackers and the attacked "in school suspension". However, note there isn't any extra punishment for the bullies. Myself, Iv'e never seen any punishment at all for verbal bullying. The type that is the most prevelant. Also, Iv'e never seen anything for throwing pencils and paper at students. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back