Different Rates?

Guru_

What do you think about the In-State/Out-State rates for college students? Should there be an exception if someone is poor? Like they live out-of-state but because of their financial situation, pay in-state rates

Werbung:
The reason that in state tuition is less is that the residents of the state pay taxes to support the college.

No, there should not be an exception if the student is poor. If the student can't afford out of state tuition, let him/her attend in his state of residence. Every state has public universities.

Taxes paid to support state universities are not welfare payments for out of state students.

Werbung:
Some states have always had cheaper and better higher level education than others, for reasons often difficult to determine. NC, for example, has very good public universities, but poor secondary education. MD, on the other hand, has very good secondary schools, but their colleges are expensive compared to NC. I have always thought that NC benefited by attracting highly capable out of state students who usually ultimately lived in NC, benefiting NC, not their original home states.

I was born in NC and educated in NC colleges, for the record, and moved to MD. So I think discouraging out of state students is a short sighted mistake

Back