Culture of Moochers

Gipper

A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing

Have we reached a tipping point where more Americans depend on the efforts of others than on their own? Are we becoming a nation of moochers?

In A Nation of Moochers, Charles J. Sykes argues that we are already very close to that point, if we have not already crossed the line: from the corporate bailouts on Wall Street, to enormous pension, healthcare, and other entitlement costs, to questionable tax exemptions for businesses and individuals, to the alarming increases in personal default and dependency, the new moocher culture cuts across lines of class, race, and private and public sectors.

A Nation of Moochers explores the shift in the American character as well as the economy. Much of the anger of the current political climate stems from the realization by millions of Americans that they are being forced to pay for the greed-driven problems of other people and corporations; increasingly, those who plan and behave sensibly are being asked to bail out the profligate. Sykes’ argument is not against compassion or legitimate charity, but distinguishes between definable needs and the moocher culture, in which self-reliance and personal responsibility have given way to mass grasping after entitlements, tax breaks, benefits, bailouts, and other forms of feeding at the public trough.
Persuasively argued and wryly entertaining, A Nation of Moochers is a rallying cry for Americans who are tired of playing by the rules and paying for those who don’t.
http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Moochers-Addiction-Something-ebook/dp/B005QNH4OG

Has America become a culture of moochers?

I think we have and it is all thanks to liberalism. One of liberalism's main tenants is take from the productive and give to the unproductive. Human nature causes more and more Americans to become unproductive or moochers.

We were once a nation of hard working and productive people. But now with the huge growth of government and liberalism, we are losing the American work ethic and it will have terrible consequences. When we have more takers than makers, the whole thing will come crashing down.

But, what say you?

Werbung:
I'd say that was a given and rather predictable

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with a result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence:
  • From Bondage to Spiritual Faith
  • From Spiritual Faith to Great Courage
  • From Courage to Liberty
  • From Liberty to Abundance
  • From Abundance to Selfishness
  • From Selfishness to Complacency
  • From Complacency to Apathy
  • From Apathy to Dependency
  • From Dependency back into Bondage

I've indicated the vicinity of where we seem to be.

Werbung:
I'd say that was a given and rather predictable

I've indicated the vicinity of where we seem to be.

I would hazard to guess that most conservatives are familiar with the From Bondage...back into Bondage theory. It makes a great deal of sense to me. Bondage is an ever powerful omnipresent government wherein the individual has little or no rights. It seems to me that this is where we are headed. But I wonder if liberals know of this theory and what they think of it.

Back