Coming-up elections?

Hey, if the South seceded it would have secure borders with a fence and armed guards, low taxes, strong military/defense, minimal gov't interference, strict constructionism, and state sanctioned church revivals with fried chicken. I wouldn't mind.

You forgot Slavery and white male supremacy

Werbung:
You forgot Slavery

How clever. Applying 21st century standards to an 18th/19th century institution. Slavery actually started in the North. Furtermore, the Northern port cities controlled shipping -- and by what vehicles were slaves brought here again?

Now, don't misinterpret this as blaming the North for the Civil War nor am I apologizing for slavery, but had the Northern ports agreed to lower the protective tariffs, the South would have eventually phased out slavery, so in many ways, you can blame the North for slavery just as much as the South. The North favored protective tariffs for the manufacturing industry. The South, which exported agricultural products to and imported manufactured goods from Europe, favored free trade and was hurt by the tariffs. Plus, a northern-dominated Congress enacted laws similar to Britain’s Navigation Acts to protect northern shipping interests.

Shortly after Lincoln’s election, Congress passed the highly protectionist Morrill tariffs, that is when the South seceded, setting up a new government. Their constitution was nearly identical to the U.S. Constitution except that it outlawed protectionist tariffs, business handouts and mandated a two-thirds majority vote for all spending measures.

Only six percent of Southerners owned slaves, and among this six percent were 13,000 free blacks who owned slaves themselves.

and white male supremacy.

Have you ever lived in the South or are you just spewing what you've been told by your lefty sources what it's like there.

Yeah, of course you have some vocal racists, but the North isn't exempt from racism just because people display it in other avenues. I love how people are so quick to proclaim every racist action in the South is symbolic of the overall attitude while every one in the North is an anamoly from the otherwise "accepting" and "tolerant" culture.

In the famous "Red Summer" of 1919 -- none of the race riots took place in states that were part of the CSA. Racism is just as prevelant in the North as it is in the South -- maybe if you weren't so narrow-minded you would be able to discern the racist institutions in the North.

How clever. Applying 21st century standards to an 18th/19th century institution.

Have you ever lived in the South or are you just spewing what you've been told by your lefty sources what it's like there.

I live in the South. I don't have "Lefty Sources". I didn't know looking at Slavery in a negative light was a "21st century standard"

Werbung:
I live in the South. I don't have "Lefty Sources". I didn't know looking at Slavery in a negative light was a "21st century standard"

I look at slavery in a negative light too, but I just think it's unfair to judge 18th century men with 21st century standards.

It's easy to sit here in 2007 and say that we would've opposed slavery from the beginning in the early 1600s, but the fact of the matter is before 1831 no one opposed slavery so we don't really know how we would've looked at slavery back then. In conclusion, I stand by my "21st century" remarks.

Back