Climate myths: Polar bear numbers are increasing

Stalin

Polar bears have become the poster children of global warming. The bears spend most or all of the year living and hunting on sea ice, and the accelerating shrinking of this ice appears to pose a serious threat. The issue has even become politically sensitive.

Yet recently there have been claims that polar bear populations are increasing. So what's going on? There are thought to be between 20,000 and 25,000 polar bears in 19 population groups around the Arctic. While polar bear numbers are increasing in two of these populations, two others are definitely in decline. We don't really know how the rest of the populations are faring, so the truth is that no one can say for sure how overall numbers are changing.

The two populations that are increasing, both in north-eastern Canada, were severely reduced by hunting in the past and are recovering thanks to the protection they and their prey now enjoy.

The best-studied population, in Canada's western Hudson Bay, fell by 22% from 1194 animals in 1987 to 935 in 2004, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. A second group in the Beaufort Sea, off Alaska's north coast, is now experiencing the same pattern of reduced adult weights and cub survival as the Hudson Bay group.

A comprehensive review (pdf) by the US Fish and Wildlife Service concluded that shrinking sea ice is the primary cause for the decline seen in these populations, and it recently proposed listing polar bears as threatened (pdf) under the Endangered Species Act. The World Conservation Union projects the bears' numbers will drop by 30% by 2050 (pdf) due to continued loss of Arctic sea ice.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11656-climate-myths-polar-bear-numbers-are-increasing.html

Comrade Stalin

Werbung:
Polar bears have become the poster children of global warming. The bears spend most or all of the year living and hunting on sea ice, and the accelerating shrinking of this ice appears to pose a serious threat. The issue has even become politically sensitive.

Yet recently there have been claims that polar bear populations are increasing. So what's going on? There are thought to be between 20,000 and 25,000 polar bears in 19 population groups around the Arctic. While polar bear numbers are increasing in two of these populations, two others are definitely in decline. We don't really know how the rest of the populations are faring, so the truth is that no one can say for sure how overall numbers are changing.

The two populations that are increasing, both in north-eastern Canada, were severely reduced by hunting in the past and are recovering thanks to the protection they and their prey now enjoy.

Are your "Bear" facts, factual? Somehow the name Stalin seems untrustworthy!

Thank you Always, for adding content to the numbers. Science doesn't mind when contrary evidence arises. It helps to clarify what is at work behind the assumptions. So please Stalin, keep looking into the issue, and keep bring up evidence as you did. It will help us all to look more clearly at the problem.

Thank you Always, for adding content to the numbers.

What content ?

All he/she did was repost what I had posted then add an unfathomable comment.

Did you actually comprehend the totality of what I posted ?

Comrade Stalin

Did you actually comprehend the totality of what I posted ?

Yes, you posted that a population that was severely decreased by hunting is making a recovery.

Let me make an analogy...

Let's imagine that a drought exists in area X. It's really dry. Then, while this drought persisted, humans showed up with some technology that allowed them to sucked up nearly 100% of all water content in that area. Now it's really, really, really dry.

If a rainstorm (one of the rare ones) passed over the area, someone could claim, "The water content of area X has increased by 50%. That must mean the drought is a myth!"

But I would think that they leaped to a hasty conclusion.

Enjoyed that article on the poor nearly extinct polar bears.

The kooky global warming freaks will not accept any information or data that refutes their position. They just keep saying over and over that global warming is a fact.

Once this hoax fails completely, conservatives need to hammer the leftists who want to destroy our republic, ignore the Constitution, and impose Marxism based on a lie. They are liars!!!

The kooky global warming freaks will not accept any information or data that refutes their position. They just keep saying over and over that global warming is a fact.

Once this hoax fails completely, conservatives need to hammer the leftists who want to destroy our republic, ignore the Constitution, and impose Marxism based on a lie. They are liars!!!

its just not OK to ignore facts that run counter to your argument.

its just not OK to ignore facts that run counter to your argument.
But here's the thing for 'ME'; are the sightings about polar bears just creating more current hysteria due to their feeding habits/or the lack there of driving them into the areas where the scent of food {human habitat} more prevalent so the numbers seem to be larger, just due to more visual close encounters?

Granted, I wouldn't want a active family {or single bear of any type wandering around my back yard} but I don't live in Bear areas; I've got rattlesnakes {520 some odd} constrictor type of bull/black snakes, scorpions, brown recluse spiders galore to content with...so it's a matter of logistics IMO!

But here's the thing for 'ME'; are the sightings about polar bears just creating more current hysteria due to their feeding habits/or the lack there of driving them into the areas where the scent of food {human habitat} more prevalent so the numbers seem to be larger, just due to more visual close encounters?

Granted, I wouldn't want a active family {or single bear of any type wandering around my back yard} but I don't live in Bear areas; I've got rattlesnakes {520 some odd} constrictor type of bull/black snakes, scorpions, brown recluse spiders galore to content with...so it's a matter of logistics IMO!

yes, they are getting too close for comfort due to their increasing numbers and that needs to be addressed as they are formidible critters.

Its my understanding that they are not relying on anecdotal reports but rather transmitter tracking and airborne recon.

Yes, you posted that a population that was severely decreased by hunting is making a recovery.

Let me make an analogy...

Let's imagine that a drought exists in area X. It's really dry. Then, while this drought persisted, humans showed up with some technology that allowed them to sucked up nearly 100% of all water content in that area. Now it's really, really, really dry.

If a rainstorm (one of the rare ones) passed over the area, someone could claim, "The water content of area X has increased by 50%. That must mean the drought is a myth!"

But I would think that they leaped to a hasty conclusion.

Except that the drought is in area X, not the whole world.

Poor analogy.

Polar bears are increasing in SOME areas of the artic

Comrade Stalin

Then you must have really enjoyed the fact that the article supported what I posted.

I never stated that they were nearly extinct, or even close.

Comrade Stalin

Werbung:
Then you must have really enjoyed the fact that the article supported what I posted.

I never stated that they were nearly extinct, or even close.

Comrade Stalin

You miss understand Uncle Joe. I was not referring to your post with my comments, but rather the kooky global warming liars.

Back