Chinese endure power shortages as coal runs short

Little-Acorn

I did a major double-take when I saw this headline. China running out of coal is like Saudi Arabia running out of sand. They have countless tons of it over there. I was there a year and a half ago, and all you saw were coal trucks, coal trains, running back and forth, full to the brim, and people building new coal-fired power plants right and left.

Then I read further, and guess what jumped out at me: Government price controls.

Yep, there is no coal shortage in China. There's just a shortage of common sense in government. Apparently the govt thinks the coal companies have a money tree, that they can just pick money off of when their receipts for selling coal fall short. Alas, apparently the money tree didn't bloom to well this season.

(Rush Limbaugh once said that if we really want to destroy our enemies, we don't need to use nukes. All we have to do it export liberalism to them, and they'd be dead within a decade. How often has he made joke, only to have them become the truth within a short few years?)

China has plenty of coal. But the govt has declared they can't charge enough to cover their costs... which the govt did NOT control. Now coal producers apparently have a choice: They can either stop paying their miners, or stop paying their refiners, or stop paying their clerks, or stop paying their transportation, or etc. Either way, no coal gets to the power plants, no matter how much there is.

I especially like the last line here. The govt proposes to punish coal companies who don't meet their contracts, by refusing to allow them to produce MORE. Isn't that sort of like tying someone's hands together, throwing him in a deep lake, and then telling him that if he can't tread water adequately you'll tie both his hands and his feet next time?

Their tax yuan at work. :eek:

------------------------------------------

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chine...4.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=2&asset=&ccode=

Chinese enduring power shortages, rationing as power suppliers run short of coal

by Elaine Kurtenbach, AP Business Writer
Monday December 20, 2010, 9:17 am EST

SHANGHAI (AP) -- Communities in central and northern China are facing power cuts and rationing as winter coal supplies fall short of surging demand.

Cold weather and transport disruptions typically cause shortages most years, but the problem has been complicated by coal producers' unhappiness over price controls that are crimping their profits.

China's State Grid, the government power provider, said in reports seen Monday on its websites that recent winter storms had pushed demand higher while worsening traffic bottlenecks, hindering coal deliveries.

Phone calls to the State Grid's branches in central China's Henan, Shanxi, Shaanxi, Chongqing and Hubei provinces -- the areas reportedly worst affected -- rang unanswered Monday.

China depends on coal for more than three-quarters of its electricity and also to fuel centralized winter heating systems in northern cities. Spates of unusually cold weather often strain supplies, with power rationing not uncommon.

About 620,000 households were left without power due to bad weather in Zhejiang, a province west of Shanghai, a report on the State Grid website said. It said power was being restored.

Coal suppliers have also held back on shipments to power companies because contract prices for coal are below market prices, a chronic problem in this state-dominated economy. China has had similar troubles in maintaining supplies of gasoline and diesel fuel, as refiners balked at selling at below-market prices.

"There are troubles with resources but also with the market," Han Xiaoping, an official at energy information provider China Energy Net, said in a report posted on its website. "Costs are rising daily, but coal prices are strictly controlled, so suppliers cannot cover their costs."

China's consumer price inflation hit a 28-month high of 5.1 percent in November, prompting the government to tighten controls on prices for some key commodities.

The National Development and Reform Commission, the country's planning agency, recently ordered coal suppliers to extend contracts set for 2010 into 2011, without raising prices.

It warned companies that fail to fulfill contracts will not be allowed to increase output capacity.

Werbung:
Rush is so right about exporting liberalism to our enemies...hahaha...problem is we have too many of them here and they are in charge.

I am sure a lib who reads that story is happy. Less coal burning is good because it reduces CO2 emissions...right libs? They never consider the consequences on the poor Chinese people.

Question for Libs:

If you could magically stop and reverse global warming today, but the consequence of this would mean the immediate deaths of MILLIONS of Americans, what would you do?

Such a dilemma.....

If China running out of Coal then CALL US!! It will put those poor west virginias back to work. Help out the west virginia economy and Raise the prices sky high so china can pay us back :D

Rush is so right about exporting liberalism to our enemies...hahaha...problem is we have too many of them here and they are in charge.

I am sure a lib who reads that story is happy. Less coal burning is good because it reduces CO2 emissions...right libs? They never consider the consequences on the poor Chinese people.

Question for Libs:

If you could magically stop and reverse global warming today, but the consequence of this would mean the immediate deaths of MILLIONS of Americans, what would you do?

Such a dilemma.....

well since it will not, its a pretty dumb question...though it is possible that many will be killed due to global warming...but its ok I know your fine with that

I did a major double-take when I saw this headline. China running out of coal is like Saudi Arabia running out of sand. They have countless tons of it over there. I was there a year and a half ago, and all you saw were coal trucks, coal trains, running back and forth, full to the brim, and people building new coal-fired power plants right and left.

Then I read further, and guess what jumped out at me: Government price controls.

Yep, there is no coal shortage in China. There's just a shortage of common sense in government. Apparently the govt thinks the coal companies have a money tree, that they can just pick money off of when their receipts for selling coal fall short. Alas, apparently the money tree didn't bloom to well this season.

(Rush Limbaugh once said that if we really want to destroy our enemies, we don't need to use nukes. All we have to do it export liberalism to them, and they'd be dead within a decade. How often has he made joke, only to have them become the truth within a short few years?)

China has plenty of coal. But the govt has declared they can't charge enough to cover their costs... which the govt did NOT control. Now coal producers apparently have a choice: They can either stop paying their miners, or stop paying their refiners, or stop paying their clerks, or stop paying their transportation, or etc. Either way, no coal gets to the power plants, no matter how much there is.

I especially like the last line here. The govt proposes to punish coal companies who don't meet their contracts, by refusing to allow them to produce MORE. Isn't that sort of like tying someone's hands together, throwing him in a deep lake, and then telling him that if he can't tread water adequately you'll tie both his hands and his feet next time?

Their tax yuan at work. :eek:

------------------------------------------

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chine...4.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=2&asset=&ccode=

Chinese enduring power shortages, rationing as power suppliers run short of coal

by Elaine Kurtenbach, AP Business Writer
Monday December 20, 2010, 9:17 am EST

SHANGHAI (AP) -- Communities in central and northern China are facing power cuts and rationing as winter coal supplies fall short of surging demand.

Cold weather and transport disruptions typically cause shortages most years, but the problem has been complicated by coal producers' unhappiness over price controls that are crimping their profits.

China's State Grid, the government power provider, said in reports seen Monday on its websites that recent winter storms had pushed demand higher while worsening traffic bottlenecks, hindering coal deliveries.

Phone calls to the State Grid's branches in central China's Henan, Shanxi, Shaanxi, Chongqing and Hubei provinces -- the areas reportedly worst affected -- rang unanswered Monday.

China depends on coal for more than three-quarters of its electricity and also to fuel centralized winter heating systems in northern cities. Spates of unusually cold weather often strain supplies, with power rationing not uncommon.

About 620,000 households were left without power due to bad weather in Zhejiang, a province west of Shanghai, a report on the State Grid website said. It said power was being restored.

Coal suppliers have also held back on shipments to power companies because contract prices for coal are below market prices, a chronic problem in this state-dominated economy. China has had similar troubles in maintaining supplies of gasoline and diesel fuel, as refiners balked at selling at below-market prices.

"There are troubles with resources but also with the market," Han Xiaoping, an official at energy information provider China Energy Net, said in a report posted on its website. "Costs are rising daily, but coal prices are strictly controlled, so suppliers cannot cover their costs."

China's consumer price inflation hit a 28-month high of 5.1 percent in November, prompting the government to tighten controls on prices for some key commodities.

The National Development and Reform Commission, the country's planning agency, recently ordered coal suppliers to extend contracts set for 2010 into 2011, without raising prices.

It warned companies that fail to fulfill contracts will not be allowed to increase output capacity.

its funny how China is Liberal when needed.. but not when the issue is pro china policy ( not that I still agree with there policy regardless)

China is buying up US Debt...China is on pace to overtake the US Econ in the next 10 to 15 years in terms of GDP...on the world debt to GDP scale its at 16.9% or 109th vs US 52% and ranked 47th...

so is that the fault of liberalism to? a higher GDP and lower Debt?

or is this just more, pick what you want and throw out the rest to make your nonsensical argument?

well since it will not, its a pretty dumb question...though it is possible that many will be killed due to global warming...but its ok I know your fine with that

Okay then...lets say you have the power to stop it and save millions, but by doing so, millions would die....what do you do? You would save the human race at the cost of a few million now.

Remember, AGW will ultimate kill millions and if left unattended, will terminate the human race. You believe this right?

So, you having the power to stop it now at the minor cost of a few million lives, what do you do?

Werbung:
When did China become an enemy of the US ?

It supports the US federal debt ponzi scheme and produces cheap goods for US consumers.

The US and Chinese ruling class have identical needs and agendas and are locked into a deadly embrace.

As for the Chinese wanting to become the dominant economic power in the world, trying looking at the last 100 years of US foreign policy.

Comrade Stalin

Back