Cain's shifting answers again!

Openmind

Cain made the statement to Piers Morgan that he was against abortion but pro-choice. . . which is basicaly the stand of MOST pro-choice people.

October 20, 2011 5:52 PM PrintText Cain seeks to quell uproar over abortion commentsBy Brian Montopoli Topics Campaign 2012 .119 Comments
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has released a statement attempting to quell a growing uproar over his suggestion that decisions about abortion should be made by families, not the government.

Cain said Wednesday night that while he is opposed to abortion in all cases, "it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make."

"Not me as president, not some politician, not a bureaucrat," he continued. "It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn't have to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive issue."

The comment was interpreted as reflecting support for abortion rights and attracted criticism from rivals like Rick Santorum, who said "t is unconscionable for Herman to run for the nomination of the Party that stands in defense of Life while showing disregard for the sanctity of Life."

In a statement released late Thursday afternoon - Cain's campaign had not previously responded to requests from CBS News throughout the day for clarification of the candidate's position - Cain said that he understood the question he'd been asked as questioning whether he "would simply 'order' people to not seek an abortion" if he becomes president.

"My answer was focused on the role of the President," Cain said. "The President has no constitutional authority to order any such action by anyone. That was the point I was trying to convey."

He added: "As to my political policy view on abortion, I am 100% pro-life. End of story."

Cain went on to vow to appoint judges "who understand the original intent of the Constitution" and who "know that the Constitution contains no right to take the life of unborn children." He also said he would oppose taxpayer dollars being used to pay for abortions and would veto funding for Planned Parenthood.

"I will do everything that a President can do, consistent with his constitutional role, to advance the culture of life," Cain concluded.

Cain's comments could cause him particular trouble in early voting states like Iowa and South Carolina, where evangelicals dominate the Republican electorate. He's already come under criticism from Santorum as well as the campaign of Michele Bachmann, two candidates with whom he is competing for the support of social conservatives.

Analysis: Cain's abortion comments could prove damaging in Iowa

Cain's full statement is below.

"Yesterday in an interview with Piers Morgan on CNN, I was asked questions about abortion policy and the role of the President.

I understood the thrust of the question to ask whether that I, as president, would simply "order" people to not seek an abortion. [sic]

My answer was focused on the role of the President. The President has no constitutional authority to order any such action by anyone. That was the point I was trying to convey.

As to my political policy view on abortion, I am 100% pro-life. End of story.

I will appoint judges who understand the original intent of the Constitution. Judges who are committed to the rule of law know that the Constitution contains no right to take the life of unborn children.

I will oppose government funding of abortion. I will veto any legislation that contains funds for Planned Parenthood. I will do everything that a President can do, consistent with his constitutional role, to advance the culture of life."

Then, worried about his "base," he back tracked (one more time. . . this time he didn't say he was just "jocking" but he said he didn't understand the very clear question asked by Piers Morgan) and published a statement that would better please his base!

Now, is that guy for real, or is he a "joke?". . .or is it hypocrisy again?

By the way, a new poll does show that (very suprisingly for everyone) 72% of REPUBLICANS think that abortion should be legal ALWAYS (11%) and in most case (61%). ONLY 27% (funny. . .that's about the percentage of evangelical Christians!) think it is never acceptable!

This is not that far from the numbers among Democrats!

Werbung:
artlessly put by Herman to be sure.

his is a normal conservative stance that abprtion should never have become a matter of national law and that only the most faulty interpretation made it be so. but since the genii is out of the bottle, best to put it in a more defensible position in the law.

artlessly put by Herman to be sure.

his is a normal conservative stance that abprtion should never have become a matter of national law and that only the most faulty interpretation made it be so. but since the genii is out of the bottle, best to put it in a more defensible position in the law.

Are you double jointed or something?

You go through so much stretching and tugging, and back tracking to pull your head out of your . . .back door, that you must be a contortionist!

Werbung:
Back