Bush admits failure during Hurricane Katrina

New Orleans was a port city, and as such it had to be built there. And besides the point, the city was constructed so long ago, no one saw the danger of a hurricane coming.

Werbung:
New Orleans was a port city, and as such it had to be built there. And besides the point, the city was constructed so long ago, no one saw the danger of a hurricane coming.

It'd be nice if that's how easy it was. Point is, it's just absolutely illogical for one to choose to live that close to the water...especially since there were warnings of the danger of New Orleans being flooded for DECADES before it happened. And, in a world where we've actually managed to change the climate (think about that for a second: WE'VE CHANGED THE CLIMATE) it's foolish to not realize that a hurricane is probable after common sense kicks in AND you were warned way in advance. The city was built in the 1700's because of its 'relatively' high elevation...fine "no one saw the danger of a hurricane coming." but you're still assuming that no one EVER saw the danger. The danger was seen decades ago (at least) and yet, people continued to live there of their own volition. I do feel bad for all of the families, but they were warned and it was foolish of them to stay there.

Please...look things up before you speak next time.

I don't think there is a problem with living by the water. People have been doing it for centuries. BUT they prepare for the weather and take cover then rebuild after the storm. Even the indians faced hurricanes before there was weather forecasting and they took cover (or there wouldn't have been any when the white man got here).

I don't think there is a problem with living by the water. People have been doing it for centuries. BUT they prepare for the weather and take cover then rebuild after the storm. Even the indians faced hurricanes before there was weather forecasting and they took cover (or there wouldn't have been any when the white man got here).

Yeah, but again...error made. First of all, the Native Americans (and the world for that matter) weren't screwing up the climate with pollutants and chemicals and industries like they are today. Besides, it's just DUMB to have SCIENTISTS warn that there WILL BE a hurricane....and ignore it.

Werbung:
Besides, it's just DUMB to have SCIENTISTS warn that there WILL BE a hurricane....and ignore it.

Yes and kinda no. New Orleans is just one example of a typical scenario. It does seem rather foolish to realise several years in advance that a natural disaster will most likely wipe out an entire town and ignore the warning or perhaps act rather fatalist about it, and in many cases it seems that this is what actually happened. In other cases, I suspect, there is the matter of infrastructure and social/political/economic concerns that keep a city and its inhabitants in its particular location, as I imagine that the difficulty and cost of a mass exodus be quite exorbitant on an total as well as a per capita scale.

So I would suggest that while it seems non-sensical to know that it's only a matter of time before your livelihood is destroyed by an event you cannot directly control...and not deal with it, where the real foolishness lies would be in making actual contradictory claims- such as "we weren't warned" when warning was given, or blaming something unrelated etc etc.

Back