Bus Driver Tells Passengers Only U.S. Citizens Can Ride

PLC1

Staff member
Bus Driver Tells Passengers Only U.S. Citizens Can Ride As Border Patrol Agent Looks On

A bus driver in Maine told passengers they needed to be U.S. citizens to ride on a bus while an immigration official questioned passengers’ citizenship.

The incident happened in the city of Bangor over Memorial Day weekend, the ACLU of New Hampshire said in a video statement.

So, you have to be an American citizen to ride a bus in the US, or is it just in Maine? I rode a bus in Canada without being a citizen of that nation.

And, I've seen busloads of people in Yosemite, all taking pictures like crazy and speaking Japanese. Were they actually American citizens?

Maybe it's only in Maine.

Werbung:
The article goes on to say,
Concord Coach Lines vice president Ben Blunt told New Hampshire Public Radio that the employee misspoke. ... the ACLU said Greyhound has the right and responsibility to demand a warrant for Border Patrol officers to board its buses.

I think some people are making up the rules.

The article goes on to say,
Concord Coach Lines vice president Ben Blunt told New Hampshire Public Radio that the employee misspoke. ... the ACLU said Greyhound has the right and responsibility to demand a warrant for Border Patrol officers to board its buses.

I think some people are making up the rules.
Yes, they should have told the border patrol to get a warrant. They didn't The Border Patrol should have known they had to have a warrant. They didn't have one. the ACLU was right. Anyway, you still don't have to be a citizen to ride a bus.

Yes, they should have told the border patrol to get a warrant.

Unfortunately the Border Patrol Agent doesn't need one in this case. They do this crap in Texas all the time within the 100 mile border zone. They just "stop everyone" and ask them if they are a citizen. You can refuse to answer but be prepared to be detained for hours.

They didn't The Border Patrol should have known they had to have a warrant. They didn't have one.

They don't legally need a warrant to question people about their citizenship in this situation (as absurd as that is). They would likely need one to actually search the bus - but that is not what they did from the sounds of it.

the ACLU was right. Anyway, you still don't have to be a citizen to ride a bus.

The bus driver clearly was wrong with their comments, but the real issue here is that what the Border Patrol was doing is seemingly 100% legal. You don't have to be a citizen to ride the bus, but the Border Patrol can absolutely ask you about your citizenship/detain you for refusing to answer.

Unfortunately the Border Patrol Agent doesn't need one in this case. They do this crap in Texas all the time within the 100 mile border zone. They just "stop everyone" and ask them if they are a citizen. You can refuse to answer but be prepared to be detained for hours.

They don't legally need a warrant to question people about their citizenship in this situation (as absurd as that is). They would likely need one to actually search the bus - but that is not what they did from the sounds of it.

The bus driver clearly was wrong with their comments, but the real issue here is that what the Border Patrol was doing is seemingly 100% legal. You don't have to be a citizen to ride the bus, but the Border Patrol can absolutely ask you about your citizenship/detain you for refusing to answer.
That is just frightening, and unconstitutional as well. Are citizens supposed to keep their passports with them all the time?
If a border patrol asks if I'm a citizen, I say, "yes." Then he says, "prove it," and then what?

We've lost enough freedom to the so called "war on drugs" already. Read my sig line. Are we to lose more with the war on immigrants?

That is just frightening, and unconstitutional as well. Are citizens supposed to keep their passports with them all the time?

There is a reason the ACLU calls the 100 mile zone the "constitution free zone". It is entirely absurd. This isn't a new issue of course. There have been big fights about this for years. The ACLU sued the Obama Admin over a basically related issue and lost....what we all give up in the name of "national security" is absurd in my opinion.

If a border patrol asks if I'm a citizen, I say, "yes." Then he says, "prove it," and then what?

In Texas the check points are miles from the border and they will ask you - generally you just say yes and they wave you through. I guess if they think you are lying they send you to the secondary inspection.

We've lost enough freedom to the so called "war on drugs" already. Read my sig line. Are we to lose more with the war on immigrants?

We've already lost it - years ago - people just haven't paid attention. Maybe people will think this is some new Trump policy and make it a legislative issue again - but I find the whole concept absurd. Outside the 100 mile zone the Border Patrol can still operate in other ways as well - with different rules.

What liberty have you lost ?

The fact that a Border Patrol Agent can stop me miles from any border (which I didn't ever cross) and ask about my citizenship and detain me if I don't answer is fundamentally wrong.

I understand the concept of it's to combat human trafficking (at least on the road towards Houston) and its a natural choke point - but I just don't agree with the implementation.

The fact that a Border Patrol Agent can stop me miles from any border (which I didn't ever cross) and ask about my citizenship and detain me if I don't answer is fundamentally wrong.

I understand the concept of it's to combat human trafficking (at least on the road towards Houston) and its a natural choke point - but I just don't agree with the implementation.
Closer to answering the question posed, thx.

Werbung:
I rode a Greyhound bus in 1996 with my FIlipno wife. We stay in the back as seen expected. I realises no such rule exist today but in my trip to the USA this year I saw few colured people at the ice hockey or baseball. I expect this is because they do not follow these sports. I have seen both white and black people ejected from buses and trams..

Back