Astonishing display of Orwellian "doublethink" by five liberal Supreme Court justices

I welcome your comments poketfullof shells and Openmind. I do not know much about the American political scene but I depair5 at comments about your President and courts from conservatives. To attack those in office is to attack the democratic institution. We in Australia have similar negative campaigns against our government and politicians. Now in recent surveys only 60% of Australians beleive that democracy is preferable to other forms of government. Among 18 to 29 , the proportion holding this view falls to less than 40%.
There is a danger in your country as well that the majority of young will lose faith in democracy.

Werbung:
pretty nice of Roberts to invent a defense of the case when the administration could not.
The administration tried to argue it's constitutionality under the already overreaching commerce clause, Roberts did strike that down as being unconstitutional. His ruling on the constitutionality of congressional taxation protected a much bigger monster than Obamacare.
he just turns it around and says here's a new tax (Constitutional, Congress can tax) but you can get a deduction of that tax if you buy insurance.
I understand the frustration of getting a ruling that says the Federal Government can FORCE us to purchase a product or service but think for a moment as to whether or not that was already taking place.... Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SSDI. We were already being forced to purchase these government plans for HC, retirement, and disability, but most Americans see these as merely a "tax" rather than government forcing us to purchase something. This new "tax" is merely an expansion of that (supposedly) unlimited constitutional power of the Congress to tax and spend.

Had Roberts ignored the "tax" side of the argument (even though the admin didn't bother making that argument) and ruled Obamacare unconstitutional on the grounds that the federal government cannot force individuals to purchase products or services (the minority opinion), the previously mentioned programs would have also been de facto ruled unconstitutional.Take a moment to think about that.

Such a reversal of previous court precedent would have created a firestorm of controversy and political upheaval the likes of which could hardly be imagined. I think that's what Roberts was trying to avoid in his ruling. I'm not saying I agree with his decision, I would have been deliriously happy to see the welfare state gutted and all of those "taxes" ruled unconstitutional to be tossed on the scrap heap of history, but I can certainly see where Roberts was looking and, therefore, why he ruled the way he did.

The administration tried to argue it's constitutionality under the already overreaching commerce clause, Roberts did strike that down as being unconstitutional. His ruling on the constitutionality of congressional taxation protected a much bigger monster than Obamacare.

I understand the frustration of getting a ruling that says the Federal Government can FORCE us to purchase a product or service but think for a moment as to whether or not that was already taking place.... Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SSDI. We were already being forced to purchase these government plans for HC, retirement, and disability, but most Americans see these as merely a "tax" rather than government forcing us to purchase something. This new "tax" is merely an expansion of that (supposedly) unlimited constitutional power of the Congress to tax and spend.

Had Roberts ignored the "tax" side of the argument (even though the admin didn't bother making that argument) and ruled Obamacare unconstitutional on the grounds that the federal government cannot force individuals to purchase products or services (the minority opinion), the previously mentioned programs would have also been de facto ruled unconstitutional.Take a moment to think about that.

Such a reversal of previous court precedent would have created a firestorm of controversy and political upheaval the likes of which could hardly be imagined. I think that's what Roberts was trying to avoid in his ruling. I'm not saying I agree with his decision, I would have been deliriously happy to see the welfare state gutted and all of those "taxes" ruled unconstitutional to be tossed on the scrap heap of history, but I can certainly see where Roberts was looking and, therefore, why he ruled the way he did.

yes those others are thought to be premiums but when you cannot say "no" its just a tax.

the PR bonus of him using the biggest stage in the world to tell the country its just a tax when the administration fought to avoid calling it that was a bonanza. no way BO can shake the tag of being a raiser of taxes on the "working man" and if the GOP fails to jump all over that then they deserve to lose.

Werbung:
Back