Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

PLC1

Staff member
Here are some questions from the California STAR test, used to determine whether fifth graders are performing up to the state standards:

What is the prime factorization of 36?
What decimal is equivalent to 3/5?
15.12 ÷ 2.4 = (no calculators, please)

More are found here.

OK, so now you're an educated adult, so such questions seem simple. Could you have answered them at age 10? Be honest, now.

Werbung:
Here are some questions from the California STAR test, used to determine whether fifth graders are performing up to the state standards:

What is the prime factorization of 36?
What decimal is equivalent to 3/5?
15.12 ÷ 2.4 = (no calculators, please)

More are found here.

OK, so now you're an educated adult, so such questions seem simple. Could you have answered them at age 10? Be honest, now.
As the T.V. show, what you have not taken into account is that fifth graders are currently studying this in their math classes...they have the advantage of being current with this math. If you watch the show, you will notice the questions that they ask could not be answered if they had not just finished studying what they are being asked. However, the adults obviously do not have the same advantage.

Werbung:
As the T.V. show, what you have not taken into account is that fifth graders are currently studying this in their math classes...they have the advantage of being current with this math. If you watch the show, you will notice the questions that they ask could not be answered if they had not just finished studying what they are being asked. However, the adults obviously do not have the same advantage.

That's true. I had to take a test at DeVry that included algebra and trigonometry. It was multiple choice and the different answers included answers that would appear if you didn't do it correctly. Real easy to trick you. Everyday at lunch I sat with a math guru at the office and we studied. I got 80% correct. :) To this day, I still cannot do algebra or trigonometry.

Back