Are Violent Video Games Really Damaging to Children?

Brandon

With games such as Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt and Doom, are these games damaging to children? Who's responsiblity is it to protect kids from these games? Is banning these games a legitimate response to this issue?

I personally think it is the parents responsiblity to censor what children see or play. The ESRB (the rating system for video games) can help inform parents about what games are suitable for their kids.

Stores that sell Mature rated games should treat video games like the movie theater treats violent movies. Stores can't sell to minors unless the parent is in the store and allows it. This way parents have the control over what games their kids play and stores get positive PR for helping the "moral fiber" of society.

This solution will never fully keep these games out of childrens hands. To think otherwise is naive. This is why parents need to be involved in what their kids play.

Werbung:
I don't think banning the games is the answer, but I think that games have a definite, and negative, effect on kids. Basically, they've stopped reading, and doing a lot of other things other than sitting in front of a computer, and that's not good in the long run. Insofar as the games you mention, it takes regulation by parents. Parents have to know what their kids are doing and monitor it.

parents just need to act like parents. if the adults responsible for these kids were in fact responsible, there would be no issue with these video games.

Ive been watching this issue a bit and i do think the game companies need to excersie some accountiblity on what they create. They know who the market is. At the very least flag it so parents know the different between a subject they are not familar with.

Overall though violent acts by children are down. I read it recently on a censous poll or something and can dig it out if needed.

I still think both sides should act in a conscious manner and stop passing the buck on who is responsible.

I personally think games like this can be helpful. Humans are aggressive creatures. What better way to release that aggression than by using a fictional character in a game to snipe out a couple pedestrians. It certainly beats killing real people.

Ditto Brandon... ditto,
but the responsability is on the parents to know better.

I personally think games like this can be helpful. Humans are aggressive creatures. What better way to release that aggression than by using a fictional character in a game to snipe out a couple pedestrians. It certainly beats killing real people.

hmm see now i dont like seeing real virtual people being killed in games. I dont mind slaying a dragon or some other critter. Which is dumb and hypocritical but i would rather a child of mine was playing a game without weapons that looked like guns and enemies that looked like people.

There is a big difference between a child and myself. If a parent does not allow a child to play a game for the reasons you mentioned palefrost than that is fine by me. I on the otherhand am an adult and can decipher right from wrong. Or at least I hope!

Well Brandon, you are right you're an adult (Maybe) and have the capacity to decide for yourself.
And Palefrost... you should look at the correlation between games like those and animal abuse... (If I can find them I'll send them to you)
Any violence can be misinterpreted in video games, including "critters" and other animals.
~Just saying

Games may or may not be damaging, but I'm certain that television and current events have more to do with inducing violent behavior than video games do.

In any case, the realism of a game is a major factor in how much of an effect it is likely to have on a person's mental chemistry, especially a child's. In earlier video games, violence was disguised by poor graphics and fantasy creatures. Even the first controversially violent game, Mortal Kombat, was pretty cheesy in its first incarnation. Advances in technology have allowed games to better resemble real life; subsequently, many more games have been created that depict human beings and other real things than depict unrealistic creatures and settings. With technology constantly in development, it is only a matter of time until games can become almost completely indistinguishable from real-life video.

Such realitic games would have much more potential to warp a child's perception and behavior, especially if the child lacks meaningful social relationships or effective parenting (which are more important factors over all).

Games may or may not be damaging, but I'm certain that television and current events have more to do with inducing violent behavior than video games do.

In any case, the realism of a game is a major factor in how much of an effect it is likely to have on a person's mental chemistry, especially a child's. In earlier video games, violence was disguised by poor graphics and fantasy creatures. Even the first controversially violent game, Mortal Kombat, was pretty cheesy in its first incarnation. Advances in technology have allowed games to better resemble real life; subsequently, many more games have been created that depict human beings and other real things than depict unrealistic creatures and settings. With technology constantly in development, it is only a matter of time until games can become almost completely indistinguishable from real-life video.

Such realitic games would have much more potential to warp a child's perception and behavior, especially if the child lacks meaningful social relationships or effective parenting (which are more important factors over all).
News and current events would probably do more damage to children, if they paid any attention to them. the sad truth is that most children are sitting in front of a television playing Xbox 360 and shooting the crap out of things.
trouble on both fronts... more realistic games AND lack of connection to the real world.

Don't know if I should go there . . . but Ted Bundy would be the first to tell you that what you read and watch WILL effect you in the long run (that is IF he could tell you).

I'm in complete agreement that the parents need to monitor what their children watch, but the entertainment industry as a whole makes it impossible. Try watching a family TV show and not have to explain the violent commercials (especially movie trailers). They need to take some responsibility as well.

There is no known correlation between violent video games and violent acts - all the scientific studies show that there is either no link, or that there is a negative correlation - as playing goes up, violence goes down. This is probably for two reasons - one, video games are less realistic than TV footage, and two, parents seem more likely to control access to violent games than violent television.
Take me, for example. I'm 19, played Wolfenstein 3d (Nazi shooter) at the age of six, and been playing computer games ever since - pretty much almost every day, basically. And I'm not a violent person - I've only ever been in a fight once, and that was in school. I actually find games to be a good way to relax - a quick blast at Unreal Tournament calmed me down after a long day's studying.
However, there is a possibility that people with a tendency to mental instability could be set off or inspired by a game - although, so far, this has not happened. But, the same thing goes for violent TV shows, or even news reports of murders.

Werbung:
I personally see know reason for young kids to play certain types of games that are vulgar or extremly violent. My son had someone over one time and they put in a game where they were calling the police pigs. My four year old got a big kick out of this. Needless to say that game came out real quick. I know that there are worse than this, but this was enough.

Back