Apocalypse now?' What Europe's media thought of the Trump speech

If you knew the scripture as well as you think you know it you would know that is my "calling".
No boasting, If you’re not careful, when you do sacrifice something for Jesus, you start thinking that you’re “getting about even” and become a Pharisee about it, looking down your nose at all those “Christian cretins” who don’t love Jesus enough to your way of thinking.

I think Preachers should preach the law to get people guilty enough to run to Jesus. Then they should preach grace until people profoundly and deeply understand its unconditional and radical nature. And I always add, “Preach it again so they won’t get discouraged. Then, if you must, preach on sin.”

The truth is that knowledge of sin is the least of a Christian’s problems…with serious Christians anyway. I’ve never met a Christian who doesn’t want to be better than he or she is. That’s true and it’s true of me too. I know about my sin and, Lord knows, I have spent a good deal of my life trying to manage it, hide it or fix it. And frankly, I haven’t been that successful.

I know what your thinking, GRUMPY, YOU ARE SO FRUSTRATING, Don't you care about sin???

Actually, I do. You know how you are expert on your calling, I’m an expert on sin. I know the horror and destruction of sin. (It’s why the Bible talks about it so much.) But I know it firsthand too. I know the darkness, destruction, and guilt of my own sin. While I haven’t built a house there, I regularly rent a place there…and I’m ashamed to even admit that. I also know... The good news of Christ is grace.. period.

Werbung:
He already has been. Won't stop him though:

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/321395-retired-generals-urge-congress-to-fully-fund-diplomacy

"More than 120 retired generals and admirals are calling on Congress not to slash funding for diplomacy and foreign aid after the Trump administration said its budget proposal would do just that.

“As you and your colleagues address the federal budget for Fiscal Year 2018, we write as retired three and four star flag and general officers from all branches of the armed services to share our strong conviction that elevating and strengthening diplomacy and development alongside defense are critical to keeping America safe,” they wrote in a letter to congressional leaders Monday.

“We know from our service in uniform that many of the crises our nation faces do not have military solutions alone — from confronting violent extremist groups like ISIS [the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria] in the Middle East and North Africa to preventing pandemics like Ebola and stabilizing weak and fragile states that can lead to greater instability.”
Your right, there are many problems, that military actions can't solve. I agree with trump that we need to lead from a position of strength.. But there are many forms of strength. Americans (and many European countries) have welcomed, clothed, and fed refugees by the hundreds of thousands in camps and cities overseas. In the past we have established and protected vast safe havens that allowed persecuted people to live and thrive (Iraqi Kurdistan after the Gulf War). America is the most generous, most compassionate nation on earth, expending vast amounts of treasure and spilling its precious blood to protect millions of poor and oppressed. I do not believe this will ever end..

Last edited:
No boasting, If you’re not careful, when you do sacrifice something for Jesus, you start thinking that you’re “getting about even” and become a Pharisee about it, looking down your nose at all those “Christian cretins” who don’t love Jesus enough to your way of thinking.

I think Preachers should preach the law to get people guilty enough to run to Jesus. Then they should preach grace until people profoundly and deeply understand its unconditional and radical nature. And I always add, “Preach it again so they won’t get discouraged. Then, if you must, preach on sin.”

The truth is that knowledge of sin is the least of a Christian’s problems…with serious Christians anyway. I’ve never met a Christian who doesn’t want to be better than he or she is. That’s true and it’s true of me too. I know about my sin and, Lord knows, I have spent a good deal of my life trying to manage it, hide it or fix it. And frankly, I haven’t been that successful.

I know what your thinking, GRUMPY, YOU ARE SO FRUSTRATING, Don't you care about sin???

Actually, I do. You know how you are expert on your calling, I’m an expert on sin. I know the horror and destruction of sin. (It’s why the Bible talks about it so much.) But I know it firsthand too. I know the darkness, destruction, and guilt of my own sin. While I haven’t built a house there, I regularly rent a place there…and I’m ashamed to even admit that. I also know... The good news of Christ is grace.. period.
I hear you. Had years and years of crushing guilt and it was a long and painful road to understand I could have grace when I so richly didn't deserve it. One year though the message of the stations of the cross finally got through my head and my heart. Haven't been the same since. Been better, so much better being born again.

I hear you. Had years and years of crushing guilt and it was a long and painful road to understand I could have grace when I so richly didn't deserve it. One year though the message of the stations of the cross finally got through my head and my heart. Haven't been the same since. Been better, so much better being born again.
Thank you..I love hearing thing like that..

Can you cite one thing I have said that I have not supported with scripture? Get past the milk, and try eating the meat of the word.

Problem here is I have never preached on the Law. And I never preach on grace. I only use the words of Christ, and His apostles. Of course, in modern day "christianity" that is unacceptable. If one preaches Christ they must be preaching law since His word is not good enough..

You voted for one.

Wrong again. My "frustration" comes from your failure to believe, and accept, the words of Christ, or God. It is your attempt to replace His word with your "opinion" that is unacceptable.

LOL, this one is really laughable. Before I got my Masters in Bibliogy, and my Doctorate in Theology, I saw, and did, things that would make you blush. In fact, it was a Billy Graham crusade, and a group of Baptists, or Anabaptists, that turned me around. So, don't even try to tell me about sin. Perhaps it is my past that makes me so sensitive to the lies of others, and their ability to manipulate others, because I have already been there, done that.

Can you cite one thing I have said that I have not supported with scripture? Get past the milk, and try eating the meat of the word.

Problem here is I have never preached on the Law. And I never preach on grace. I only use the words of Christ, and His apostles. Of course, in modern day "christianity" that is unacceptable. If one preaches Christ they must be preaching law since His word is not good enough..

You voted for one.

Wrong again. My "frustration" comes from your failure to believe, and accept, the words of Christ, or God. It is your attempt to replace His word with your "opinion" that is unacceptable.

LOL, this one is really laughable. Before I got my Masters in Bibliogy, and my Doctorate in Theology, I saw, and did, things that would make you blush. In fact, it was a Billy Graham crusade, and a group of Baptists, or Anabaptists, that turned me around. So, don't even try to tell me about sin. Perhaps it is my past that makes me so sensitive to the lies of others, and their ability to manipulate others, because I have already been there, done that.

You said...LOL, this one is really laughable. Before I got my Masters in Bibliogy, and my Doctorate in Theology, I saw, and did, things that would make you blush. In fact, it was a Billy Graham crusade, and a group of Baptists, or Anabaptists, that turned me around. So, don't even try to tell me about sin. Perhaps it is my past that makes me so sensitive to the lies of others, and their ability to manipulate others, because I have already been there, done that.

I'm glad I could give a laugh, we all need that..And I see you have some degrees, I would be more impressed with THE MASTERS DEGREE. And next to Dave Wilkerson Mr. Graham is one of my favorites. As far as making me Blush, I doubt it..Now to not telling you about sin.. I'm not the one calling you a sinner, a fool , Liar, ignorant ect.

I stick by what I said , every word.. The past IS what makes me more sensitive, I've been where you are, not going back..I was hateful and angry and could never reconcile my anger towards “the enemies of my faith” with God’s command to love. Until I saw that God loved me when I was still his enemy, which means I wasn't God's enemy even when I wanted to be. So, there are no enemies to my faith. There is no scale of better or worse people. There is only us, the needy, and the sin that stands between us and God, and the light of his love, Thank God for Grace, which He wishes to give to all. Your type of religious thinking is unacceptable to me.
And while of course love doesn’t go so far as to rejoice in sin, God's love is un-natural in its welcoming of those who would make themselves our enemies. It blesses them. It is kind and doesn’t act unbecoming. And it’s not provoked to angry rhetoric.

I think I've told you this before, when what we’re saying sounds hateful, belligerent and angry, you don’t get to say that it's the fault of those who are hearing it wrong. You don’t get to call anger love, just because you know that’s what it’s supposed to be. Dressing your hate up in love's clothes isn't fooling anyone. It may make you feel better, but you're the only one.

You said...LOL, this one is really laughable. Before I got my Masters in Bibliogy, and my Doctorate in Theology, I saw, and did, things that would make you blush. In fact, it was a Billy Graham crusade, and a group of Baptists, or Anabaptists, that turned me around. So, don't even try to tell me about sin. Perhaps it is my past that makes me so sensitive to the lies of others, and their ability to manipulate others, because I have already been there, done that.

I'm glad I could give a laugh, we all need that..And I see you have some degrees, I would be more impressed with THE MASTERS DEGREE. And next to Dave Wilkerson Mr. Graham is one of my favorites. As far as making me Blush, I doubt it..Now to not telling you about sin.. I'm not the one calling you a sinner, a fool , Liar, ignorant ect.

I stick by what I said , every word.. The past IS what makes me more sensitive, I've been where you are, not going back..I was hateful and angry and could never reconcile my anger towards “the enemies of my faith” with God’s command to love. Until I saw that God loved me when I was still his enemy, which means I wasn't God's enemy even when I wanted to be. So, there are no enemies to my faith. There is no scale of better or worse people. There is only us, the needy, and the sin that stands between us and God, and the light of his love, Thank God for Grace, which He wishes to give to all. Your type of religious thinking is unacceptable to me.
And while of course love doesn’t go so far as to rejoice in sin, God's love is un-natural in its welcoming of those who would make themselves our enemies. It blesses them. It is kind and doesn’t act unbecoming. And it’s not provoked to angry rhetoric.

I think I've told you this before, when what we’re saying sounds hateful, belligerent and angry, you don’t get to say that it's the fault of those who are hearing it wrong. You don’t get to call anger love, just because you know that’s what it’s supposed to be. Dressing your hate up in love's clothes isn't fooling anyone. It may make you feel better, but you're the only one.
Love the effort but I think trap kinda likes his take on these matters.
But who knows, in God all things are possible.

The counter insurgency is lightyeas away from clear as to who it is which us a pretty common problem in that part of the world.
Yeah that's my point. That’s where the intelligence part is crucial. One assumes (hopefully) he’s not just intending to get into a pissing contest with the Russians by beefing up with tanks and toys and spending gobs of cash on the absurd stuff like Reagan did - that useless SDI project! The US military and intelligence community need to be able to define its future threat and equip accordingly and that sort of thing takes more than 4 years to do. So, is this all just sound bite garbage for the faithful or a long term strategic view? Afghanistan was again an unfortunate object lesson in how not to engage in asymmetric warfare.

America is the most generous, most compassionate nation on earth, expending vast amounts of treasure and spilling its precious blood to protect millions of poor and oppressed. I do not believe this will ever end..
Yeah...but... marching into places where planners and commanders don't have the first idea of the history and culture of the people and their enemy, assuming they can actually identify who their enemy is, and expecting results with shiney tanks and fast jets is bullshit. This isn't the age of the second world war... see the hill take the hill. Marching into Afghanistan and placing some english speaking bozo in power didn't acheive anything. You are right you (and the UK and many other countries) expend unimaginable amounts of money. Take Afghanistan and ISAF as an example, who were we protecting? From whom were we protecting them and why and what did ISAF achieve? Iraq, another monumental f**k-up, we marched into Iraq full of piss and vinegar and within a couple of days we announced whoopee job done! And then look what happened and the mess its' caused, is causing and will continue to cause.

You're right the US and many other countries including the UK have expended many lives and destroyed many families and for what... cheap rhetoric to sell to the voters and the self agrandisement of the political eilite. The medal of achievement for presidents and prime ministers used to be the photo on the desk of themselves beaming at meeting and shaking hands with Nelson Mandela now he's thankfully gone the pinnicle of acheivement seems to be to have a good war old fashioned war with some fly blown country that can't really fight back!

Sorry mate but being a superpower and "leader of the freeworld" means more than just having the ability to flatten countries and then walk away when the press coverage goes south.

Sorry Grumpy got a bit carried away there....rant over....

Last edited:
Yeah that's my point. That’s where the intelligence part is crucial. One assumes (hopefully) he’s not just intending to get into a pissing contest with the Russians by beefing up with tanks and toys and spending gobs of cash on the absurd stuff like Reagan did - that useless SDI project! The US military and intelligence community need to be able to define its future threat and equip accordingly and that sort of thing takes more than 4 years to do. So, is this all just sound bite garbage for the faithful or a long term strategic view? Afghanistan was again an unfortunate object lesson in how not to engage in asymmetric warfare.
Intel is shake when the players flip from side to side like a flounder on a hook.

Yeah...but... marching into places where planners and commanders don't have the first idea of the history and culture of the people and their enemy, assuming they can actually identify who their enemy is, and expecting results with shiney tanks and fast jets is bullshit. This isn't the age of the second world war... see the hill take the hill. Marching into Afghanistan and placing some english speaking bozo in power didn't acheive anything. You are right you (and the UK and many other countries) expend unimaginable amounts of money. Take Afghanistan and ISAF as an example, who were we protecting? From whom were we protecting them and why and what did ISAF achieve? Iraq, another monumental f**k-up, we marched into Iraq full of piss and vinegar and within a couple of days we announced whoopee job done! And then look what happened and the mess its' caused, is causing and will continue to cause.

You're right the US and many other countries including the UK have expended many lives and destroyed many families and for what... cheap rhetoric to sell to the voters and the self agrandisement of the political eilite. The medal of achievement for presidents and prime ministers used to be the photo on the desk of themselves beaming at meeting and shaking hands with Nelson Mandela now he's thankfully gone the pinnicle of acheivement seems to be to have a good war old fashioned war with some fly blown country that can't really fight back!

Sorry mate but being a superpower and "leader of the freeworld" means more than just having the ability to flatten countries and then walk away when the press coverage goes south.

Sorry Grumpy got a bit carried away there....rant over....
Afghanistan is only euphemistically a nation. Bunch of tribes on land nobody wants.

Werbung:
Afghanistan is only euphemistically a nation. Bunch of tribes on land nobody wants.

You really have a problem with intellectual thought. Why not address what the Scotsman said instead of trying to justify the Bush screw up?

BTW, do your research, as if you ever do. China is mining in Afghanistan, and we protect them. Obviously someone wants it.

Notice also that Afghanistan is a major source of Lithium:

https://www.aol.com/article/2010/06/14/china-us-afghanistan-mineral-mining/19515409/

Back