1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

And The Fool Strikes Again

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Old_Trapper70, May 8, 2017.

1. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

Are politicians in a position to understand the issues of climate and its complex systems?

2. Old_Trapper70

Old_Trapper70 Well-Known Member

Like I said, all industries save for a few green (eco) companies.

This is an example of why I have decided to quit responding to you. You have this tendency to take out of context, or entirely ignore, what I said.

3. The Scotsman

yeah......of course it is......cool bye bye

4. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

IMG_20170517_0002.jpg Scotsman says pollution of the Great Barrier Reefs just farming issue contamination from runoff.
    While farming practises have some effect , the main problem is climate warming causing bleaching in large parts f the reef .Global warming of coral polyps the key component of a coral reef Coral polyps require a stable climate. Changes in water conditions in the Great Barrier Reef as a result of global warming and pollution has caused coral bleaching.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. The Scotsman

Hi Mate, have you a report on that - scientific oppinion is that they cannot find a link to climate change as yet?

The last study I can find is from the Australian Government and the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS)

6. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

The Scotsman. I have found several sources on Google that state that climate change is mainly responsible for the damage to the Great Barrier Reef. In a Reef Health update =Great barrier Reef Foundation
    "The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Chairman Dr Russell Reichart said all six reef surveyed had experienced thermal stress. following 12 months of sustained above- average temperatures across the Great Barrier Reef and current sea temperatures 2 degrees Celsius than average "
    "Reports of coral bleaching have been increasing over the summer ,in the wake of 12 months of sustained above-average temperatures."
    "the bleaching incidents on the Great Barrier Reef is part of a global coral bleaching event hat has been affecting world's coral reefs for at least two years"
    " Climate change remains the number one threat to the Reef, reinforcing the need for a global solution and for the global community to achieve the objectives set in Paris in 2015"

7. The Scotsman

yeah i've seen them too and they all make good reading. They generally refer back to the 2050 Reef plan (undertaken by AIMS refered to above) which is about bringing about a vast improvement in the water quality caused by farming run off - fertilisers and herbicides. Very little coralation to sea temperatures from GW as yet.

8. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

The Sotsman, I think we will have to agree differ on what is the main cause of the damage to he Great Barrier Reef. But it is a fact that it is damage and other land marks will be damage unless we remove sources of pollution. They are even proposing a mine near the Barrier Reef. Mankind seems incapable or unwilling to do anything so many land marks will disappear.

Walter likes this.
  9. The Scotsman

has it been finalised yet? I read somewhere that it was a financial sink and that the only reason the Indians considered it was because of massive Government subsidies! Seems stupid but then again it can get in line with all the other stupidity thats going on as you say above.
    Have a nice weekend!

10. Aus22

Aus22 Well-Known Member

The mine has not started yet. But both the Liberal Federal government and the Labor State government have agree to support it. It will apparently create jobs and boost the economy. This is short term thinking but it appears all there is.