Afghanistan: Deep-Sixing The "Cowboy-Georgie" Routine!

Mr. Shaman

"Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, cautioned troops on Monday to exercise greater discipline in Afghanistan to minimize civilian casualties and to win Afghans' support as they implement the administration's new war strategy.

"Don't just assume because you've had a tour [in Afghanistan] that it will be like it was the last time," Mullen said. He was referring to changes in the overall strategy and new rules of engagement that place tighter limits on the use of deadly force in cases in which Afghan civilians' lives might be at risk.

"It is going to take very agile, nimble leaders to know when to be aggressive and when not to be aggressive," he told Marines at Camp Lejeune. But he said that in the long run, more-restrictive rules on U.S. firepower will win the support of the Afghan people and shift the momentum in the fight away from the Taliban. "It's going to turn this thing around more quickly," he said.

Marines at Camp Lejeune fired back with their own questions about whether the 30,000 new troops will be enough to weaken the Taliban, and whether the plan to begin pulling troops out by July 2011 would provide enough time to put the eight-year-old war on a better footing.

"Honestly, do you think 30,000 troops is going to be enough right now?" asked one Marine private first class at a town hall meeting.

"We worked a long time to debate and wring out the strategy for the president," Mullen said in describing the review, which stretched far longer than most in the administration anticipated. "I think it is right. I think it is the best shot we have, and I think 30,000 is enough."
Better-luck, next-time....Chickenhawks!!!!

Werbung:
damn liberal Generals, with there smart thinking and knowing what they are talking about.

Inurgancy/COIN...The key is always, support of the people and security of the people. Most of these people have very small goals...to be safe, have there family safe, and to be able to make a living...They don't care who is in chage so much as getting those things done. I hope this works, and I think it will. Its our best shot at actuly getting our troops back home and leaving something in afganistan that at least can keep it from being a Base for Bin Ladin again

Back