A good regime to bump off

Libsmasher

The people of Burma (illegitimately renamed "Myanmar" by the equally illegitimate regime which runs it) are suffering tremendously because the thugs who run it won't let aid workers into the country. The regime has no substantial popular support. This regime would be an excellent target for an international expeditionary force.

Werbung:
The people of Burma (illegitimately renamed "Myanmar" by the equally illegitimate regime which runs it) are suffering tremendously because the thugs who run it won't let aid workers into the country. The regime has no substantial popular support. This regime would be an excellent target for an international expeditionary force.

No oil. Scratch that one.

Though seriously - I agree with it being a crap government, why do you say it's illegitimately renamed?

I agree, so long as the people of Burma still want our help.

The name "Myanmar" holds about as much weight as "Zaire" and "Kampuchea" did.

No offence, but you don't have the best recent record when it comes to helping 'liberate' dictatorships. And I agree, there's no gain economically or politically for taking out Burma, only loss, economically when you deploy multi million dollar military operations, and politically when you start seeing soldiers coming home in body bags on your TV.

Not gunna happen. Although I agree it needs change there for freedom.

Guys....guys, stash the testosterone for a second huh!!

You cannot go round telling everyone that their Government sucks and that the good'ol US of A will ride in and save you from your oppressors! That's not the way to do it boys trust me we tried it and landed ourselves in some serious doo doo!!

As much as I agree with you, a modicom of restraint in thought is needed - you've just about got rid of Bush and the rest of the hawks please don't start this train of thought again.....or at least leave us out of the next armed invasion please.... we cannot afford it....can you!!

I seem to remember that the democratic movement in Burma has requested international aid on at least one occasion. If they want the help, we should be willing to give it - even if it isn't economically sound.

Since deposing the dictatorship in Iraq has turned out so well, let's find another failed government to target. Sure, that's the ticket.

Maybe we should send a force to the Sudan while we're at it.

No offence, but you don't have the best recent record when it comes to helping 'liberate' dictatorships.

Excepting the estimable contributions of the UK in that regard specifically since the Gulf War, the post world war two record of europeans is ZERO - at least we try, and what exactly do you mean with the scornful quotes around "liberate"? Getting rid of eg, saddam isn't a liberation?

You cannot go round telling everyone that their Government sucks and that the good'ol US of A will ride in and save you from your oppressors! That's not the way to do it boys trust me we tried it and landed ourselves in some serious doo doo!!

As much as I agree with you, a modicom of restraint in thought is needed - you've just about got rid of Bush and the rest of the hawks please don't start this train of thought again.....or at least leave us out of the next armed invasion please.... we cannot afford it....can you!!

We aren't telling "everyone" - you're confusing the people of a country with the gang of thugs which has seized power.

Since deposing the dictatorship in Iraq has turned out so well, let's find another failed government to target. Sure, that's the ticket.

Maybe we should send a force to the Sudan while we're at it.

Nah - you're right - let's just let the mass murderers of the world rape and torture and kill and commit genocide. Why should we worry about that when we could go to the beach? Hey dude - surf's up! :D

Terrible situation in Burma, nobody will probably argue with that. A natural tragedy turned worse by an uncooperative government.
Id like to know where this IEF would come from. Any suggestions?
Why would a right wing zealot suggest an international effort when the US has made it generally our policy to take on the lions share of the work when it comes to nation building. Maybe we could contract it out?

Its amazing it took a Scottish hockey fan to come up with this gem of wisdom. Excellent post.

Werbung:
Excepting the estimable contributions of the UK in that regard specifically since the Gulf War, the post world war two record of europeans is ZERO - at least we try, and what exactly do you mean with the scornful quotes around "liberate"? Getting rid of eg, saddam isn't a liberation?

Liberation, sure. But what do you want the rest of Europe to committ to?
I remember being annoyed at the French over thier non-assistance with Iraq. But damn if they werent right. I guess I am not sure if it was a bad idea in the first place, or just run so poorly that it is criminal in my mind.

But I am not sure if you asked the average Iraqi if "liberation" was such a good idea.

Back