1954; Independence For Vietnam!!!

Mr. Shaman

Well....it COULD have been!!!!!

:mad:

"The major world powers have reached agreement on the terms for a ceasefire in Indo-China, ending nearly eight years of war.

The war began in 1946 between nationalist forces of the Communist Viet Minh under leader Ho Chi Minh and France, the occupying colonial power".

(....But, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... :mad:)​

"Senate leaders from both parties went one step further and expressed their alarm at what is widely regarded as a victory for Communism.

"We may regret that such an agreement has been forced upon the French," said Senator William Knowland, Republican and Senate Majority Leader."

Werbung:
Be careful where you throw stones...JFK and LBJ were the ones who escalated our involvement in Vietnam past advisory.
Not to worry.

No one will ever accuse you Freepers of historical-accuracy.

:rolleyes:

"Ho Chi Minh asked the Americans to honor their commitment to independence, citing the Atlantic Charter and the U.N. Charter on self-determination. However, by the end of the war, the U.S. government had begun to redirect its foreign policy from the wartime goal of the liberation of all occupied countries and colonies to the postwar anti-communist crusade, which became the Cold War. In France, where communists had led the resistance to the Nazi occupation, American policy supported General Charles de Gaulle and his anti-communist "Free French." De Gaulle aimed to restore the glory of France, which meant the return of all former French colonies. U.S. relations with the Vietnamese turned sour. President Truman refused to answer letters or cables from Ho. Instead, the U.S. began to ship military aid to the French forces in Indochina."

....Only if you're dyslexic-enough to read Truman, and see JFK or LBJ.​

:rolleyes:

Okay, let's try to get the facts straight...Truman was a Democrat...Eisenhower was a Republican...JFK and LBJ were Democrats.

From your reference article..."U.S. involvement continued and so did U.S. money and men. American presence rose to 500 under Eisenhower and grew to 15,000 under Kennedy." It then exploded under LBJ.

Every war is horrible in it's own right. The Vietnam War was especially painful because so many lives were lost for what seemed to be a philosophical difference. I lost friends there. There was cruelty and stupidity on both sides of that fight and no one should go blameless.

My point is that, especially regarding this war, all parties were to blame and at fault for not recognizing early enough that we might have been better off staying out of this civil war. Both parties had too much skin in the game and couldn't make common sense decisions because of their financial and political prejudices.

Okay, let's try to get the facts straight...Truman was a Democrat...Eisenhower was a Republican...JFK and LBJ were Democrats.
PARTY wasn't the subject.​
Be careful where you throw stones...JFK and LBJ were the ones who escalated our involvement in Vietnam past advisory.
We were involved, pre-Truman.

If anyone escalated our involvement, it was him.​

PARTY wasn't the subject.​

We were involved, pre-Truman.​

If anyone escalated our involvement, it was him.​

Pre-Truman we were involved in that whole area...it was called WWII. Our involvement in $ was inevitable, as it was in Korea, China, and the Philippians. We were trying to help rebuild the whole Pacific rim.

I apologize for suggesting that you were throwing the Republicans under the bus, but your quote focused on the Republican Whip who had little or no power at the time, so I made an assumption.

Also, realize that there was a real and present danger of Communist influence dominating the area. Just as we were trying to apply influence, so were the Soviets. This was a game no one new how to play and ended badly for far too many innocent civilians around the world because we both chose to back leaders who weren't very benevolent.

One last thought, the real culprit was LBJ for sending so many of our young men to Vietnam. All the $ sent there was not even close to the atrocity of sending that many young men to deal with that war.

Pre-Truman we were involved in that whole area...it was called WWII. Our involvement in $ was inevitable, as it was in Korea, China, and the Philippians. We were trying to help rebuild the whole Pacific rim.

I apologize for suggesting that you were throwing the Republicans under the bus, but your quote focused on the Republican Whip who had little or no power at the time, so I made an assumption.

Also, realize that there was a real and present danger of Communist influence dominating the area. Just as we were trying to apply influence, so were the Soviets. This was a game no one new how to play and ended badly for far too many innocent civilians around the world because we both chose to back leaders who weren't very benevolent.

One last thought, the real culprit was LBJ for sending so many of our young men to Vietnam. All the $ sent there was not even close to the atrocity of sending that many young men to deal with that war.

Good Points but doesn't it just reek of the mentality of "in for a penny - in for a pound" {but in this case it was human flesh/body counts} and while I agree about LBJ's response...I can't think that had JFK lived this would have been the exact same turn out/eventual ending! IMO

Good Points but doesn't it just reek of the mentality of "in for a penny - in for a pound" {but in this case it was human flesh/body counts} and while I agree about LBJ's response...I can't think that had JFK lived this would have been the exact same turn out/eventual ending! IMO

I agree...the only difference was that LBJ had more ties to the defense industry. Also, Robert Kennedy was not in agreement with John on expanding the Vietnam effort and that may have had a longer-term influence.

Werbung:
Back